If a friend is in the hospital, what can I do to help out the family?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:58 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Run errands, field phone calls/inquiries from other friends and family as to the patient's health, bring in their mail/paper, make sure their trash cans get put out, help with meals...

If they have young children, help getting their kids off to the bus or to/from school, etc.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Laundry, watch kids, run errands, clean the house, make meals that can be frozen for when the friend gets home. Visit. Bring magazines or puzzle books.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Make them a meal, offer to watch the children, offer to do laundry....anything that you know needs to be done on a regular basis and that creates stress when there is no one to do it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I always make them a few meals...1 for now and a few for the freezer
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 12:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would get together close friends or close church members and do a 'potluck.' Drop by and let them know they need not worry about dinner for a few days and that you guys got it covered.
    Offer to clean house with a few friends; a little vacuming goes a long ways!
    Offer babysitting service so family with kids can visit for quiet times.
    Offer carpooling.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 1:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Ask what they need, then do it. I can't tell you how many times people have offered help, but aren't available or willing to help when the time comes. Even if it's something as simple as doing dishes or folding laundry, or watching their kids one day while they go out to run errands or visit the person in the hospital. Whatever they need. Example: when DH started having health problems again, we got lots of food. We really didn't need lots of food; I had the cooking under control, and we had plenty of groceries. It was a nice gesture, but unneeded. What we really needed was help with housework- dishes, laundry, childcare, that sort of thing since I work and he had up to that point done most of the domestic stuff. I appreciated more the day several people showed up and did ALL our dishes and most of our laundry- it would have been nice to have that once or twice a month instead of more food.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I also have to second tyfry on the visiting. Having a family member in the hospital is pretty rough, and sometimes it's nice to have someone just drop in, with or without kids (if with kids it could be a playdate), and talk about anything or nothing. It can be very refreshing to have something to distract you from the stress of kids and hospital runs etc.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2010