What does everyone think about China's one child policy?

There has been so much talk about overpopulation...is this a good policy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I thought the policy was 2 children
    giovannismom01

Answer by giovannismom01 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Nope...it is actually one...you can look it up on wikipedia or google it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• We could head in this direction very easilly if Roe is ever overturned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I think its horrible. You should see what some of those people do for a male child. And those who can't have one, can "buy" one of the tens of thousands of boy children stolen every year. The Chinese gov't forbids the posting of Missing posters.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Given the massive famines and rampant starvation China had faced during the Cultural Revolution and the very real possiblity of that kind of tragedy happening again, I think China had to do something to curb its population growth. Unfortunately, they chose a very harsh, shortsighted policy and implemented it unfairly and often brutally. Given the cultural preference for boys, it was almost inevitable that the one child policy would lead to millions of girls gone missing from their population (from sex-selective abortion, abandonment, etc). Now, they are facing a very real (and I think potentially dangerous) gender imbalance. In some places there are as many as 130 little boys for every 100 little girls, which often leads to kidnapping, human trafficking, and violence against women.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 1:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• (con't)
    Its a shame they didn't realize that educating women is one of the best ways to curb population growth. Many studies have shown that the more education women have, the fewer babies they tend to have.

All of that being said, I will forever be grateful to China for my daughter. We don't know her yet, but it is very likely she is an orphanage as we speak, due to this policy.
    DEpley

• I think it does take care of overpopulation
    giovannismom01

Answer by giovannismom01 at 1:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• The family planning policy is implemented differently in different parts of the country and in different populations. Many minorities are allowed to have more than one child. Also, many times the government will allow a couple to try for a son if their first child is a girl. Also, if you and your spouse are only children due to the one child policy, you can have a second.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 1:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Ha Ha anon 12:00 am good job lets keep murdering to cut down on population hahaha WOW
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Its horrible. Its crazy how a country like China is trying to make the people have only ONE child but South Korea (I think it is) is trying to get their families to have tons of babies (they did a show on the Duggar family) I say let them have as many kids as they want as long as they can provide & take care of them!
    ElijahsMommy58

Answer by ElijahsMommy58 at 1:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2008