Any Ultrasound technicians?

Im really considering becoming an ultasound technician. I choose this because It seems fun and I love seeing babies, and helping people. I would love beig able to tell excited mommy' and daddy's what gender baby they are having. I know not all ultrasound techs. deal with pregnancy andIm okaywith that too. I want to help people and maybe finding something wrong fast with an ultrasound might save someone.
I have not had any form of college before. I graduated high school, then joined the Army. I was in for some time as a Mechanic. My husband is still active duty and my daughter is 15 months old. She has never been in daycare before, and I think when she is about 2 (we are moving in about 6 months) I'll start this whole process.
Questions are:
1. How did you start this process?
2. What are classes like?
3. Were you able to find work fast?
4. Do you like your job and what do you make roughly?
Thanks for the help!
3.

SierraLynn

Asked by SierraLynn at 12:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm not an ultrasound tech, but I am a college grad. Your first step is to decide on a college. You'll have to apply and be approved. They'll look at your high school transcripts and your military service. You'll also have to do some testing to see where you place math skills wise and English language skills wise. You'll want to talk to an admissions councelor about what types of classes you'll need and the requirements. To find out if the industry is growing, I'd check out the US Dept of Labor's website. You should be able to find stats there about how many jobs there are, if the field is growing or shrinking and the average pay.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2010