Babysitting GM ?

I have been watching my GD since almost birth about 27 plus hrs a wk.My dh job has slowed way down,We really need me to go to work but my dd does not want my GD in a daycare,I hate the thought too and has no one else at all to watch her.She does pretty well finacially my question is She has said more than once she would start paying me but never has,I wouldn't even ask her too but need the money more now than ever.I feel torn between a rock and hard place cause I want to be here for her.She said again we need to sit and talk about how much to pay me..sorry get to it.What's fair or how much should I charge her?And also my other dd is going to work full time maybe.Same scenario with her too.They want and trust me more of course but I need to help out with Money real bad now.I just feel quilty but at the same time they are not getting that we r not making it lately.I say 20 a day from both!any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'd find out what daycares in the area charge then come to a deal and tell her to pay or you will be forced to find outside employment. It's up to her.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We pay a family memeber 25 a day for the hours of 8:30 to 4:00 for a 15 month old and we take all of his food, drinks, etc.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Figure out how much you would make by going to work, or how much you need and go from there. If I get this right it's just that you need the money to get by, not that you want to make money off the babysitting.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• If you can afford to do it for $20 a day that is wonderful. They would find it difficult to find another babysitter for that price. They should be aware or made aware that you are having financial problems and really need to have income. It is wonderful that you are there for your children and grandchildren. Now, they need to be there for you.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Go to work outside the home, this is going to be a mess, they will figure out what to do with their kiddo, sounds like your already being taken advantage of, and honestly will earn more outside the home, unless you want to open a daycare,,,,I think you need to be a GRANDMA, not a babysitter,,, somehow your DD will figure it out, who would want their parents to suffer?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I do childcare and took on a relative as a favor giving them a price break. Big uh oh, nothing but a mess. I personally will not do it again and think you should put extra thought into it also.

If you do decide to continue staying home I think the $20 a day is very reasonable. If they raise any sort of question about it all though I'd immediately drop the idea and get some job applications in. As far as what your daughters will do that's on them. I have had a couple of young childcare kids start up because Grandma got tired of being the free sitter or just couldn't anymore. Your daughter won't be the first to face the change. Good luck. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Wow, an other GM like me. Except my single mom daughter and her son live with us too. She only pays us to watch her son when it is for a special date or something. I watch him every night when she goes to her second shift job. If she could afford to pay me which she can't, I would like ast least $20 a day. It would give me some spending money so I could treat gs to something special now and then.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Why do think we b/c grandmas r supposed to want to do this all the time.I never would ask for money except like I said,my ds hours have been cut way back.Now she's asking me why this and why that?like I know why his hrs r cut back.I even do her dds laundry for free.Its like only if ur desperate only then I will pay..grrrr
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• When I was struggling after my divorce, I paid my mom to watch my kids. She needed the money since she was a widow and I needed the help and reassurance that my kids were safe. I would take her up on her offer but let her know that she cannot take advantage and not pay you as she would a professional day care provider. I know you love your grandchild, but you need to support yourself as well.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Other than the occassional date I would never ask my mother to watch my kids on a regular basis without paying her to begin with. If you were not availiable your DD would be paying theough the nose for childcare. If she can not afford childcare maybe she should stay home with her own kids. You raised your own and paid your way now it is heer turn. Sit her down with what you want to get paid for what hours you are willing to work and get it out of the way. Honestly, If I knew my mother needed money there is no way I wouldn't pay it.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2010