Does anyone have any idea or been through breastfeeding after a reduction? I would love to try when my baby gets here.

michellesgirls2

Asked by michellesgirls2 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As long as your doc left milk ducts attached to your nipples you will be able to breast feed. One word of caution the milk ducts that are not still connected to the nipple will still produce milk and become engorged and a bit painful, but when they see there is no outlet those will stop. You should be able to breeastfeed just fine.
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 12:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have a friend who had not one but two reductions, and never had an issue nursing. Like you her nipples had to be removed and moved, but the ducts and nerves were reconnected, as they should have been, so it never affected the nursing at all. Unless your doctor screwed things up, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I went through the same thing, but mine was a major reduction from a 42FFF to a 38D. My nipples were removed and reattached and I still to this day have no sensation in them. IE they do not get hard when stimulated. But I was able to breast feed with no problem.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• bfar.org, good luck! ;)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• well the nipples were removed and reattached and at one time afterwards I had no sensation in either but since then they are very sensative. Ive been reading different things on the the internet and getting about the same idea as to your reply lsuffmomma. Im hoping I can. This pregnancy wasnt planned very much a surprise! But Im slowly getting used to the idea and would love that closeness and bonding with the baby especially since the tubes will be tied after this one lol.
    michellesgirls2

Comment by michellesgirls2 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Im glad to hear that it gives me hope thanks!!
    michellesgirls2

Comment by michellesgirls2 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It would be ideal to speak with your surgeon about this, see how the nipples were reattached and also talk with a lactation counselor. It could be very possible for you to breastfeed. Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010