Sanford Airport to opt out of TSA screening

Orlando Sanford International Airport has decided to opt out from TSA screening.

"All of our due diligence shows it's the way to go," said Larry Dale, the director of the Sanford Airport Authority. "You're going to get better service at a better price and more accountability and better customer service."

Dale says he will be sending a letter requesting to opt out from TSA screening, and instead the airport will choose one of the five approved private screening companies to take over.

Congressman John Mica, who's expected to lead the powerful Transportation Committee next year, says the TSA is crying out for reform.

"I think TSA is overstepping its bounds," said Mica.

Dale says, if all goes as planned, the private security firm could take over in about 12 months.

Thoughts?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am thinking more airports will go this route.

Your options shouldn't be get felt up or get exposed to radiation and possibly have naked photos of you or your kids released

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sweets! We agree on something!!

Is that twice in one week??

becareful now.....you may get addicted to sweets! lol..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• That's good. I think when the Airlines see their bottom line actually shrinking they will follow suit.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• They still have to follow TSA guidelines. I think this is just to get publicity for the smaller airport that has trouble competing with Orlando International Airport. Many airports already use private companies, but the policies are the same.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• SweetLuci

I know TSA claims this, but what law states that airline passengers MUST go through this physical grope-down? If there's no law (and there is none) then a private company would NOT have to comply.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I had a TSA employee get angry with me over a religious pendant in my carry on, wad up the cord it hung on and THROW IT AT ME, striking me in the chest hard enough to leave a bruise and tell me "next time, just wear the DAMNED thing and don't waste my time!"

Wow what a jerk
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• will you have better recourse than with TSA employees?

A private firm that ruins the reputation of the airport by pulling crap like that can be easily fired. A private has a vested interest in keeping their job.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sweets! We agree on something!!
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think when they start touching you in private areas that's overstepping it's bounds.

So, I agree with this statement -------> "I think TSA is overstepping its bounds," said Mica.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010