Croup, omg it is freakin me out

i know that it is dangerous and all but i can't even sleep, because i am worried that she won't be breathing good, i have a humidifer in her room, and i was goin too have her sleep with me, but what do i do, she hasn't woke up crying yet, oops to late she is awake know, but not coughing , does that mean she is goin too be ok, or do i still need to watch her, she is drooling alot and spitting alot, i know that is part of it and the sheet that the doc gave me said too take her too the er for that drooling and stuff, but she is not coughing and i don't want too get there and they said it is jus a cold after i sat there for like 5 hours, HELP WHAT TO DO?????????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I would just put her in bed with you and she will calm down because her mom is with her and she will feel more comfortable. if she starts breathing weird or coughin or if she has green stuff comin out of her nose then i would take her in. its better to be safe than sorry. i hope she gets to feeling better!!!!
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• croup usually starts in the middle of the night while the baby is sleeping.
    - Steam (put your child in his car seat or carrier on the bathroom floor while the shower runs)

- Place a humidifier in his room

- Put him in his stroller and take a walk in the early morning or evening when the air is coolest. This also works in a car with the windows rolled down so the cool air can circulate.

- In more severe cases, your child’s doctor may prescribe oral steroids to reduce the swelling in his throat.

- Try to calm a coughing baby. Crying only worsens croup. Reading or singing to a baby may aid in calming him.

- Make sure your child is getting a lot of fluid. This will help thin any secretions in his airway. He may not feel like eating but keep him drinking.

- Cough syrup or suppressants will not help. NEVER give an infant medication that you haven’t asked his pediatrician
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• - Keep children away from smoke (cigarette or other). Smoke will aggravate coughs, especially croup.

Also:

- This condition is most likely to begin after a respiratory infection in children age 6 months to 3 years. The infection symptoms may persist along with the cough.

- It is most common in the months from October to March.

- A child who has had croup once is likely to get it again. This cycle may repeat until age 4-5 (when his airway is large enough to “outgrow” the swelling).

- Croup is contagious. Keep your baby away from other children as long as he has his cough or fever.

- Croup generally lasts 5 to 6 days. On average, a child with croup will have three nights of the harsh cough.
    Anonymous

• When dd had croup I had her sleep with me and propped her up so it was easier for her to breathe. If she is coughing try taking her into the bathroom and with the door closed run the water as hot as it will go. The steam will help loosen the mucus in her chest.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Lolo'smom said what i was going to say.... ds has had it a few times, it comes out of nowhere in the middle of the night. try to avoid letting her cry if possible- it makes it way worse. i would bring her to bed with you and prop her up. steam and cold outdoor air also work really well. if you have any doubts as to whether or not she's okay, call the er or an on-call pediatrician and ask. they know that croup makes moms panic!
    elisabethjean

Answer by elisabethjean at 1:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• whats croup? who ever answers that, please just PM me the answer. thanks.. and i hope your baby get's better! im sorry i can't be of any help to you or baby!!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• croup is just a really bad cold....the anonymous answer above gives some great info. croup is generally worse at night, can last 5-7 days. DO NOT give OTC cough or cold meds. use the humidifier, take the child in the bathroom and run a steamy shower, elevate the head of the bead...even warm fluids tends to relax the airway during a coughing spasm (warm apple juice or lemonade). IF it does not improve and gets worse, they run temp of 101 or higher for 3 days....call the doc and they may need an antibiotic or steroid. Usually croup will pass on its own after a few uncomfortable nights.
    megancaleca

Answer by megancaleca at 7:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• If you are concerned with your baby you should take her in. Last year ny 9 month old woke up weheezing and it scared the crap out of me. He had a high fever and I took him to the ER. To make a long story short, the doc there said it was broncitis, gave me an antibiotic for him, and sent me home. The next day was HOIRRIBLE he would cry and he coud barely breathe. I took him back to the ER and he ended up having to stay the night at the hospital because his oxygen level was low. He had breathing treatments all night long and we had to give him steroids through a nebulizer. I don't mess around with croup anymore! If you have even the slightest concerns take her in! I hope she feels better soon.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 8:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• How old is she? If she's old enough for meds give her some Ibuprofen or other anti-inflamatory. My son gets this all throughout the winter months and it's never fun. Keep her calm so she isn't panicky.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Also wanted to add that the doctors have all assured me that it sounds much worse than it actually is :)
    ReneeK3