am i the only one who ALWAYS has a problem with the dishwasher?

no matter how well i clean the dishes before loading them there is always crud on some of them after the cycle is finished. this is why i prefer to wash by hand but i have a small kitchen and if i need the counter space in a hurry its much more convenient to just load up the dishwasher.

my friend uses hers every single day and has no problems. she lives in an apartment like i do but i think her appliances are better quality than mine.

i also use generic soap instead of paying full price for name brand. could this be the culprit?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• NOPE! We have replaced the darn thing about 3 times in the last say 3 years! I hate it but LOVE it when it works!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i recently had to replace my dishwasher, and 'upgraded' to a better brand. it does clean better than my old one did. i also use cascade instead of the cheap soap. that would be a good thing to try.....switching soap is a lot cheaper than getting a new dishwasher lol. i use the little pre-measured packets and they work great
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have a top of the line dishwasher that we just purchased. I still have white calcium build up on the dishes. I called the repair man and he said that he has had tons of calls for the same thing. The water has more calcium than ever before. He told me to add a cup of vinegar to the load and it does help but not totally.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The detergent you use makes all the dufference. Try Cascade or Finish powder. I wash everything very well & rarely have a problem with crud stuck on. I like the dishwasher because it sanitizes everything too. Check your settings on the machine too. Adjust them if necessary.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• dufferance= difference (sp) :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes.....generic detergents do not work as well as Cascade or Finish. Also DON'T get the Lemon scented ones because there is something in the Lemon Scent that can ruin certain finishes on flatware.
    Also make sure the filter at the bottom is competely empty.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I doubt it is the bargin soap, I use on occasion and have no problems. Perhaps it is the brand. Question, is this mostly on the top rack dishes? If it is, be very sure you are not loading any knives utencils etc that may fall through the basket and prevent the spinner at the bottom of the washer from spinning.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:04 AM on Nov. 19, 2010