Custody... How on earth does she still have it???

Ok ladies, I have seen plenty of you attack people asking legitimate questions. I have one, and I am almost certain that SOMEONE will find a way to take offense to it, please know, that is not my intention, and if you find it offensive, just don't answer.
This is the scenario; there is a woman I know, she has a 13 month old baby girl. The mother has an IQ of 70. Which is considered mildly mentally challenged. The state has deemed her unable to hold a job, unable to take care of her self, and has decided she needs a payee on her check, as she can't handle money. Don't get me wrong, she is a kind hearted person, I have no problem with her in that regard. However, I have heard of 6 different occasions in which she has not been paying attention to the child and the child has fallen on her head, one resulting in a huge bruise, a goose egg reall on her head. One on these instances was due to her leaving her 7month

KKline

Asked by KKline at 1:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have no idea, sounds really odd, have you called CPS? If you know her family, I would think a talk with her mother would be in order
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• old in the charge of a SIX YEAR OLD CHILD. Who of course walked away from the baby and subsequently the baby fell off the bed. There are other issues such as feeding, she would rather feed the girl a bottle than feed her real baby food. She says its easier to feed a bottle, yes, but... is that whats best??? Of course not. She refuses to wipe her child from front to back, its a wonder she hasn't developed any infections. She gets frustrated easily, and when changing her daughters diaper yells at her if her daughter fusses, which make the baby more frustrated, which frustrates her more. She dates the shadiest of people, she hangs around with drug addicts, and worse. She fights with these people, in front of the child. She will leave her screaming in her crib at night for hours rather than gjve her a damn bottle and get her self out of bed. She sits and watches her daughter get into somthing she should have, and just yells from
    KKline

Comment by KKline (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Oh wow.. Maybe you should call CPS.. see if they can do a check up.?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My kids had bruises from falls, what kid does not fall, my kids have bumped their head, my one daughter is always twisting, breaking or bruising something. My children are not abused....

Are you guys friends, or are you just listening to what people say, might I add gossip...

There has to be more to the story...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• IDK. I understand how someone deemed unable to care for herself, is able to care for a child full time. Maybe no-one has challenged it yet?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Uhm, yeah, that should have said " I DONT understand...."
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• a distance rather than getting up and doing something about it! (im sure she has numerous things in her stomach she shouldn't have) She for two weeks had sand flees in her hair.. the poor child! In the time it took my brother to smoke a cigarette my friend john had picked out FIVE fleas from her hair!!!!!!!! There is a lot more, I could go on for pages of the stuff I have seen. I have not myself called CPS yet for that fact that maybe there is something i am missing??? But how can someone who cant take care of thememselves, be allowed to take care of a baby??? Her family sees nothing wrong with this!! I am sorry, but a child deserves the best, not just doing and ok bang up job, they all seem to have this attitude that she is doing well for her (as in well for the mother) so? Is this good for the baby?? good lord!
    KKline

Comment by KKline (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• She is the daughter of my next door neighbor.. she isnt a person i could call a friend, and it isnt second hand info, i have seen this. The girl her self told me the rest when i asked.
    KKline

Comment by KKline (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• And please guys.. read the WHOLE story before commenting... i am well aware that kids get bruises and bumps and what not all the time.. its the circumstances that lead up to it that count.
    KKline

Comment by KKline (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• So, take what you know and have a conversation with social services... but if she is living with another, competent adult, it is unlikely that they will do much more than make her take parenting classes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2010