Does anyone agree with me here? (about bipolar disorder)

I am bipolar and I almost never take my meds. IMO I can function just fine without them. I keep the house clean, I pay bills, I go grocery shopping and shop at Walmart for stuff for the house. I attend community college part time and go to class and do my homework just fine. So what if I have mood swings a million times a day? I can function just fine, why should I drug myself with a potent med that probably isn't really good for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Health

• I say if you can function , then I totally agree with you. I've always felt that heavy meds should be avoided whenever possible. I would recommend, however, that you look into natural, alternative treatments, though...herbs, supplements, homeopathy. If for anything, just to feel better and make your relationships easier.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 1:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Completely agree. I'm BiPolar type 2, and completely med free. However, I understand there is a point when medication could be or may need to be used, and for as controlled as my symptoms are I know I may always be just a day away from a point where other options need to be explored. I know from experience that BPD can be controlled buy options other than medication - life style, exorcise, diet, medication... But that if and when things take a "down turn" medication, even temporarily should be at least considered...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'm also bipolar and no longer on antipsychotics or mood stabilizers. I only take celexa for my anxiety and topamax for headaches, which some psychiatrists use topamax off label as a mood stabilizer, but that isn't why i'm on it. I guess it could be helping a little though. I function pretty well also. I work, have held my job for 8 years. I have periods of time where my condition is worse but overall I am high functioning, just moody. lol. I'm a rapid cycler. I was on lithium about 6 months ago and i swear it made things worse. I have always had a short fuse, but with the lithium i would go into a blind rage. I ended up in the hospital one night and after that i never took it again. I have been fine ever since. That is suppose to be the "gold standard" for bipolar treatment, but it made me a basketcase!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010