How to deal with unsupportive relatives

I've seen a lot on here by people whose families did not support them breastfeeding and I'm sure some of that may be applicable but I am in the opposite situation. My husband,my mother,my mother in law,my siblings in law,some of mine and almost all of my husband's extended family,even some of my friends and the women at church are very very probreastfeeding to the point of dirty looks,constant questions about why and even snide comments from a few. When I first tried to get WIC to switch me to the formula feeding vouchers the nutritionist and the lactation consultant bullied me to the point of tears. How the heck do you deal with this, especially deal with family with the holidays coming up?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have 5 children..I have breastfeed and formula feed and you know what, I can't tell a difference in them...Really, they are all healthy and happy kids...2 are adults..No, harm done....EVERYONE in your life who loves you should support you in any decision you make...A happy healthy mommy is a happy and healthy baby...If they "look" at you cross because of breastfeeding, they have the problem and should spend some time in the prayer closet...Good luck and just love your baby...weather you feed breast or formula...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your miracle...
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Just keep ignoring them and do what is right for your self and the baby....

Don't be rude, but say your raised your kids, please let me raise mine the best way I see fit....

Actually, mind your business.... Remember, you have to live with your decisions and do what is best for you..... :) Good luck!!!! Everyone talks stuff, but who will be there in the late future, probably not half of them.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• While breast is best, I'm guessing you have your own reasons for not breastfeeding. No one has the right to bully you, although many think they have free reign to tell you how to raise your child. Take a deep breath, look them in the eye with a smile and say, Thank you for that advice., I'll take it under consideration, but I am the mother so my husband and I will decide what is best for our child. Then anytime someone tries to bring it up, change the subject. Hang in there hon.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Tell them to mind their own business.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Let them know that some people just don't want to breast feed. As for WIC that is just how they are.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 3:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• If WIC is always like this why do people say that they don't support breastfeeding enough? I mean the whole office is art and posters and pamphlets all about breastfeeding. The one thing they have about formula feeding is a pamphlet that says WIC is a supplemental formula program so be prepared to pay for it yourself.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have no idea why someone would say that WIC is against breast feeding. WIC is constantly shoving breast feeding in my face, I am 13 weeks along and I have already nursed two children! They never offer formula and they just told me that they do not provide formula before 6 weeks.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Depending on your state they will, but they will never do it without a fight. All they do is shove it in your face.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2010