What do you think about marriage?

Do you think it's less important now than it has been in the past?

Do you think it's wise for fewer couples to marry?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I see marriage as a sacrament. My husband and I took our vows before God.
    If I wasn't faithful and didn't view marriage in the light of Christ then I would think it was just a legal piece of paper and agree with most of the posters above.
    I think how someone views marriage depends on their spiritual (or lack of) beliefs.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Do I think it's "wise" for less couples to marry... That's not for me to judge. If I felt I could have relied on other family members to make the choices I would have wanted, we wouldn't have married when we did. But I didn't feel that was a risk I was willing to take. Now, if you don't have those conflicts, I don't see why marriage is a necessity. It's all in how YOU view it. To me, marriage should be something that takes place in your heart, not through a legal venue. If you are married in your heart, that's all that counts...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Do you think it's less important now than it has been in the past?
    I think it is just as important and just as relevant as in the past. Marriage is glue of the family unit, and the family unit is highly necessary in society.

I think it is wise for more couples to take it more seriously.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• HaHa... I just answered this on The Veiw's FB page! lol!

As I said there - Marriage has never been more than a legal contract in one form or another. In the past it was a way to force control, pass on inheritance and secure land. Today, we tend to view marriage in more emotional terms, which honestly invalidates the reason for a legal contract... Marriage today is not needed to have a relationship, and doesn't guarantee any more of a commitment than not being married does. However, there are still legal reasons where marriage makes sense, for instance, medical decisions or inheritance. So while I don't see a real solid NEED for marriage, I do see how there are benefits on a legal level.

Looking at MY marriage, it's nothing more than paper. It gave my DH the power to make medical choices for me, which was why we did it, but beyond that, it changed NOTHING in our relationship... So no, it wasn't a big deal.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I see marriage as a social and legal commitment. I think it's quite possible to have the social commitment to a partner without the legal paperwork to back it. I also think a LOT of people don't take the commitment that seriously anyhow. I don't think that marriage trends are good, bad, or indifferent... it's up to individual choice and circumstances.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't think one can speak of the importance of marriage in general. The importance of marriage is probably a case by case thing, as each person places a different level of importance upon their marriage. Some people take their marriages more seriously than others, but I don't believe that means marriage in general is in a trend of becoming less important. There's no saying that these such people - those who don't take their marriages seriously or so forth - have always existed in some number throughout history.

As for whether or not its wise for people to marry - that, too, is a case by case situation....

I may be misunderstanding the question, though...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It's important to me. I think having a lasting relationship with someone you are raising a family with is important and that is what marriage is suppose to be.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My husband and I lived together for 6 1/2 years before getting married, and I think that there is a difference in the level of committment when you are willing to make a public vow (and a vow before God), and bind yourself to someone else legally. I know that there were some rocky times in our marriage, before we had kids, that I might have just walked away and given up if we hadn't made that legal and spiritual committment. I think it's sad when people say that for them it is just a piece of paper. I think that if people do not get married, kids are more likely to grow up without one of their parents present in their everyday lives.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I chose to get married, but if someone chooses not to marry that is a valid decision as well. I don't think it necessarily changes their relationship whether they have the piece of paper or not. Someone who is married may not necessarily be more committed to the relationship than someone who chooses not to marry, even if that is the ideal. There are pros and cons to be getting married or staying unmarried that each couple needs to decide on for themselves. My BIL and new SIL have been saying for years that they weren't going to get married, and then they surprised everyone by getting married on their own last month. Some people just don't want the expense or to make a big production about it. They said it's not any different for them for far, since they've been living together for several years. She's thinking of changing careers, so it might help if she can get on his insurance now while she goes to school though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think it depends on the couple. There are some couples that do better with out the marrige papers and others that are better off with it. All you can really do is look at your situation and figure out the pros and cons of marriage. There are legal cons to getting married it is not all benifits like some seem to think. In my situation it really is best that we do not marry for now. I hope it changes in a year or so but for now it is best we wait.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010