i need help with Christmas gifts for my parents please!

my parents are in their 50s. my mom is the kind of person who buys what she wants when she wants it, and when we ask her what she wants for Christmas she has no ideas for us. she is not into spa-type gifts (massages, facials, manicures, pedicures, etc) - i did that one year and it went unused. she likes to decorate but has expensive tastes and is picky, she does not like clothes i pick when we are shopping. my dad never has any wants either. they both have few hobbies, my dad owns his own business but buys all his needs and it is all expensive anyway. they like wine but are picky, only buy things they taste - they did not like the last 2 bottles i gave them. food gift certificates are over-done. i am really really hurting for ideas this year! please, can anyone give me new ideas for them?!

annanonnymommy

Asked by annanonnymommy at 1:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• Good luck sounds tough.

My parents appreciate every gift they got, whether it be socks or tickets too a game...

Offer to make them dinner xmas eve or something, Bake their favorite treats, and call it a day... :) Sounds like they might never be happy with what you get anyway... Awwww, Have a Merry christmas. No disrespect, to any of you.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• go to the picture people or somewhere like that and get a really nice picture of the grandkids done, then go and buy a really nice frame that fits with their taste and give it to the both of them for a present. i'm sure that would cost enough to be ok for both of them
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• well, if they're into home-made gifts from the grandkids i have a great idea for you.

go to michael's and buy a wood "plate" type thing, and some red and green hand paint. have your kid or kids get a little messy and smear one of their hands in red paint and one of their hands in green paint and make their handprints on the plate. you can also buy scrapbook stickers with snowmen, santa and such for $1 there and creatively arrange them on the plate. i did this last year and will be doing it again this year for the kids' grandparents and greatgrandparents.

you could also add a visa gift card along with it and this way they can spend it anywhere they want.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Framed pictures of the grandchildren, gift cards to their favorite stores, tickets to the movies or gift cards to their favorite restaurants, tickets to a concert of show they would enjoy. Starbucks gift cards.

How about a mother's ring for your mom with all of her children's birthstones? Engraved pocket knife for dad at Things Remembered
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Oh, digital picture frame filled with pictures of you and the grandkids, or a digital keychain
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• pictures of the grandkids, giftcards to the movies, tickets to TSO (that one would have to be early!),
    Anonymous

• How about a gift certificate to moms fav decorating store. Spend what you can on it. I know you said it was expensive. Or you can get american express gift certificates at rite aid or something. Or a nice fruit and nut basket. One year I paid a houskeeper to help my sister for one day. My sister now has a housekeeper who comes each week. Gifts can be services, gifts, gift certificatesan etc. Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My parents are the same why. If the need something they just go get it. I got my mom a necklace, and shirt, and then got dad a book and a jigsaw puzzle. Then I am going to put pictures on a cookie jar that I found in a magazine. If you have kids I did use photos and made homemade placemats. Something the kids could make. I did one year get them movie passes. Do they travel get them a motel gift card or new luggage, or something like a breakfast pack from swiss colony, I used to have parents make me a list so easier to shop for them. Maybe have them make one for you so next year easier to shop for them.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• anon - we actually did TSO tickets last year, lol! they loved it, especially my mom. unfortunately it meant driving 5 hours away and getting stranded for almost a week! pictures/frames are out, we've done enough frames and pictures are an every year thing. movie tickets are a good idea. i did think of something else while reading these replies. and the visa gift card idea is good too - almost too easy, but i know it would work! thanks ladies!
    annanonnymommy

Comment by annanonnymommy (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• my sister and I are starting to get them tickets to "events" or the symphony/ballet/something to do.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 2:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010