3 yr old son won't eat, help?

my son isn't a picky eater he just won't eat. now granted he will eat a few bites but nothing that would satisfy any hunger. i really don't see how he grows. this really concerns me and yet others say it's normal and they won't starve themselves. he seems fine and active throughout the day, his only problem is food. i just don't get it.

example : Today
6am- morning= gave him half a glass of chocolate milk before (morning routine; used to be a full but with the no eating wanted him to be hungrier so he'd eat more... didn't work)
7am- breakfast= all he would eat was half a poptart, then gave him pediasure
2pm- late lunch= few bites of soup, now down for a nap.

last night dinner around 6:30pm had chicken nuggets, bar-bque sauce and bush's beans- may have ate a few bites, spit chicken out, ate mostly the sauce. fixed some peanut butter toast and ate a few bites. gave multivitamin and pediasure (once a day).

suthrnflwr

Asked by suthrnflwr at 2:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids go through that, I would make sure you don't give him a drink before breakfast, give him a drink half way through breakfast.

Try not to snack too much in the morning, very little

Hopefully it is just a stage but I would keep his peditrician updated...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• ♥ ♥i really wouldn't worry about it...he will really eat for you when he's hungry...at least he is taking something from time to time..also invest in some of those pedi drinks..those help with nutriton and talk with your family doc...best of luck to you♥ ♥
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What does his doctor say? My son was like that when he was 2 but got way better now that he is 3. Maybe try asking him what he wants to eat out of these 3 options. That is what helped my son. Giving him the option to picked made it more enjoyable to eat it. It wasn't mom forcing him to eat it. Like he could pick grapes,yogurt or toast. all healthy but he got to pick which one. I hope this helps some?!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I know its driving you crazy, and us moms have to make sure our kiddoes eat, but if he is healthy and energetic and not losing weight, its time to relax a little. Is he going potty normally? If he's okay in that department, a vitamin along with regular meal and snack times should be fine. Pediasure and a multi seem to be a little overkill, as pedia sure has vitamins and nutrients that kids are missing. One or the other would be fine, I think. At his age though, exploring life seems more important than eating, and they really don't have big tummy's to begin with. Also, if you push it, it could become a power struggle. He will eat when he's hungry. My son went through that. I should own stock in a supermarket these days as much as he eats now. This too, shall pass. But if worried, do talk to the pediatrician. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• This is SOOOO my son too! He's almost 4 and does the same thing. He will eat fruit and veggies pretty well...but that is it. Let me know if something works for you....I will try it to!
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 3:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It is a stage they go through. However, if I could suggest a change in what you give him? Remove the poptart and substitute with toast & Nutella or a bowl of cereal. Nutella is a bit better for him than all the sugar that's in a poptart. Have you tried adjusting what he eats or introduced new or different foods?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Kids go through that, My 2yo won't eat vegetables now! lol.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010