If you smoked when you were younger, would you allow your teen to smoke?

No, I would not allow my daughter to smoke. So far my oldest is against, smoking and drunks.

She hates the smell of it, and can't stand seeing people act stupid when they are drunk... I have a drink or two on occassion but don't get stupid drunk....

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i smoked as a teen, but i wouldnt allow any of mine to do it just as my mom wouldn't allow me. she didn't know about it til i turned 18. back then i wasnt' as addicted and didn't need one while i was at home. i usually did it on the way to and from school or whenever i wasnt home. both of my parents smoked so they weren't able to smell it on me. as for drinking of course not. i'm not naive to think that none of my kids will ever have a cigarette or alcohol before their legal age, it does happen. all i can do is be open and honest with them about it and hope the same in return for them, and just educate educate educate. and i agree, do as i say, not as i do.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I smoked when I was a teen, my DH smoked as a teen... My DH is still a smoker & I will be again once I'm not pregnant. I would think it would be rather hypocritical of me to then try to stop my teens from smoking... I will discourage it, as I'm sure the laws & other education at that point will as well. But should they choose to smoke, I won't be stepping in to stop them, however I won't be buying them either, and like anyone else they will be going outside or to the basement to smoke in my home... So, will I encourage it? No. Will I absolutely STOP it? No.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No, do as I say, not as I do.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• If I had ever smoked no, I wouldn't have allowed my teens to smoke. My 22 and 24yo's both smoke and I hate it. They saw their grandmother smoking like a chimney and hated it when they were growing up and now they both smoke...it breaks my heart. My 18 and 20yo's know that we will kick their asses if they pick it up!
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• ♥ ♥ I smoked when i was younger...it was a very bad choice..i would not let my children smoke thow..i haven't been able to quit and they see how hard it is to try to stop..i always tell them it was a very bad habit for me to ever pick up♥ ♥
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• HELL NO! I started when I was 14 and my parents let me. Now Im 25 and eleven years of the crap doesn't make it easy to quit. Ive been two weeks without any nicotine because ttc and Im still struggling. Best way to quit, never start.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 2:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't let them. My son turned 17 and started smoking. I didn't agree but I told him he was old enough to make his own decisions. I would not buy them for him or give him money for them either. I do not smoke and didn't agree with it but they reach a point where they need to make their own decisions.
    BarbS10

Answer by BarbS10 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I did smoke as a teen but stopped before I became pregnant the first time. I made it through 3 kids with none smoking. But the 4th one is doing it. I don't think much ( I don't smell it on her). she knows I do not like it and it is not permitted in our home. She is 19 so what am I going to do?
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• While I wouldn't approve of it, I couldn't make them stop. At a certain point they do have to start making their own decisions, and trying to control every action in my opinion is just going to make them more defensive and defiant. Neither of my boys have any interest in smoking, doing drugs or drinking. My oldest is 16 and has stopped hanging out with friends that started drinking and smoking pot.
    My 12 yr old came home one day and told me his friends smokes and drinks (AT 12) and stopped hanging out with him as well.
    I think I raised them well enough to make the right decisions for themselves, however if they would choose to smoke after hitting 17 or 18 there isn't much I can do about it. I certainly would be disappointed and probably throw in my thoughts about it, but I can't force them to put the cigarette down.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010