Birth Control for Daughter

My daughter is 14 and has been dating the same boy for over a year. I would like to put her on birth control before they is a little one involved. I am not condoning sex for teens but they are going to do it sometime. I have had some talks with her, she is not one to share. She knows my opinion on this. Thoughts????? Please help.

BarbS10

Asked by BarbS10 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would put her on birth control if she wanted to. You're right, they will do it, at least there is a good chance they will, and it would be better for her to be protected. I would also buy her some condoms, since hormone birth control doesn't protect against STD's, and these days, you can't be too careful.
    busyyoungmom

Answer by busyyoungmom at 2:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would put her on depo. One shot lasts 3 months, no pills to remember. Nothing wrong with being cautious. How does she feel though? Make sure she does not think that puting her on bc means condoning sex. Personally, I think 14 is too young to date, especially the same boy for a year.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• kids are doing things much earlier than the previous generations did. how many times have you heard about kids as young as 13 (and even younger unfortunately) getting pregnant? im sure your daughter is a smart, educated young lady but if she wants to have sex nothing is going to stop her. i think putting her on birth control is a smart move for both of you. i plan to do the same with my 3 girls when i even have an incling that they are sexually active.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• you are very smart for thinking this... my mother put us all on BC around that age and i did not need it but just incase something happened i would be protected for the most part... my sisters did need it and are glad they were on it.... kids do start to have sex at very young ages now... although you should ask her if she is ready to be on it....better safe than sorry... and for those parents that dont allow their kids to have BC because they think it condones it are the ones that regret not putting them on it because they will have sex protection or not... I agree with you
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Get her on the pill, and get her some condoms. Sit them BOTH down, and make sure that they know how to use them- each, and EVERY time.

BTW- please don't put her on depo, at least with the pill if it makes her sick she can quit taking it, depo... well,. once she has it, she is stuck with it. I know literally NO ONE who has taken the depo that has not had a bad reaction to it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would NEVER encourage a woman, or young girl, to go on hormonal BC. There are a great many dangers to hormones which can create health issues later in life. For a young teen those dangers are only higher because her hormones are still changing. That said, if she is dating and at "risk" of having sex, she needs to have control of the situation. That means she needs to have ALL the information, not just what we (parents) are usually willing to give. She needs to understand ALL the risks AND the benefits to sex. If we present sex as all negative teens (who aren't dumb) simply ignore the information as "mom trying to scare me." She needs to understand the physical risks - pregnancy, STIs, STDs, date rape... As well as reputation & emotional issues... Plus her options on safety - diaphragm, sponges, condoms, female condoms, dental dams... And know where and how to get them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes definately! You should take her to the doctor and talk to her and the doc together what would be best for her to be on at her age!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• PUT HER ON THE PILL!!!!!!!!!
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Really? 14 for birth control now? YIKES again! I just can't imagine how you teen parents handle all of this, it is just too early. You are scaring the pants off me. I am going back to answering the pet questions! I hope you can talk to your daughter and get control of her hormones, it sounds very frustrating and disappointing .
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 6:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I can't thank all of you for your comments. We did go to the doctor today and she did tell the doctor that she has already had sex, so I am very glad to say I did the right thing. Yes, she wanted on birth control. I did ask to make sure that they used condoms and that they will continue to do so. It is very scary that they are sexually active at this age. Boy it seemed easier with my son.........Thanks again. I am glad to hear I wasn't overreacting.
    BarbS10

Comment by BarbS10 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010