Is it unreasonable to ask my inlaws to put their dog away on Thanksgiving? He growls at my daughter whenever we are there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• It's not unreasonable...but have hubby do the asking.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't think so, I don't trust dogs. You can bet I'll be asking my mom to put her blind pitbull away when we go over there.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 2:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Im with the first poster...I would have DH ask...But I have had friends over for a get together and I would put my dogs up so they dont jump on them or in case they are allergic. To me its a respect thing for your company.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Nope. That is your child. Do what is best for her.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• no, not if it shows agression towards your child....and if they don't want to put the dog away then i wouldn't go over there
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It is better to ask for Fido to go to his room for a day than to have a trip to the ER resulting in stitches or cosmetic surgery. A dog who is growling is going to have a lower threshold to bite.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I agree with those that have said it's ok to ask, but have dh do the asking. :) We have two dogs and I also put them away from company for the most part, always when there are children. For one, I also think it's the respectful thing to do when company is over but also for the dogs' sakes. Even the best behaved dog might react badly to a child that doesn't have "dog manners" you just never know. That being said, if the child happens to be doing anything that provokes the dog, not that yours does, that needs to be addressed also.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't think its rude at all - it might be easier if your husband asks since its his parents. Either way, its your child and if the dog is growling it really should be seperated. When a dog growls, that the warning so it really does make sense to just avert the problem.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Your Husband should demand it. My Mom has a little dog that snaps like crazy. Ever since my Son was born (now he's 4) when we visit her house, the dog goes into one of her bathrooms and is gated in until we leave. I would never risk it since unless a dog is very used to & familiar with children, you never know what could happen. Why would your inlaws have a promblem with it? After all isn't their Grandchilds safety the most important thing?? If your DH won't say it then by all means, speak up & do not allow the dog near your child.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• This is a safety concern. It would not be rude to ask her to pick up a pair of scissors on the coffee table and it is not rude to ask for the dog to be put up- although it might be better received coming from your hubby. Even the best dogs can get irritable around kids, especially if they are not used to children, and something can happen so fast that can never be undone. It just isn't worth the risk. I still watch my dog like a hawk around my two year old even though he has really gotten used to her presence now, but while he is ok with her he doesn't care much for other kids and he is always put up when the nephews are over for their safety and so I don't have to constantly watch and worry.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010