Okay, so my two year-old is going when I put him on the toilet, what's the next step?

He is still using his diaper, but if I lift the lid or sit him on the potty he is making an effort to squirt something out for me. LOL. He started this just last night when his older brother took him potty. He never would have just pottied for me on his own I'm sure. Anyway, he'll go on the potty, but I don't know how much progress i should expect to see. How often should I have him try etc. I know I have an older son and I should know, but I was too pushy with the older one and I don't want to make the same mistakes again. Help.

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 2:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i waited until my boys were ready to do it themselves. i wasn't pushy at all. i would ask them if they wanted to go potty and except whatever answer they gave. This the laid back way and that was the best for me and my boys. BUT when they were ready it happened over night, REALLY!!!! i am doing the same thing with Gates. Oh and we didn't use pull ups we just went straight to underwear, it's cheaper.
    Ericha7

Answer by Ericha7 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• That is great! Why not get the pull up diapers and show him how he can pull them up and down himself if he wants to use the potty? And I would just keep sitting him on the potty and soon he will go there himself. Some children are much easier than others when it comes to potty training.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Oh yea, he also gets mad when I don't use his potty seat attachment LOL. I told him my butt is too big. hahaha.
    lowencope

Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Don't push let him take the next step.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2010