why do i think iam a bad mom just because i make or try to make my son mind?

gavinsmom0688

Asked by gavinsmom0688 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Who thinks that and what are you doing?
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• you think that you are a bad mom
    because
    moms 2nd guess themselves because they want to be the best mom
    because moms worry, and you want to be the best mom you can
    because you love your child and it is hard to be the parent and tell them not good behavoir-easier to be friend, but that is not the parent thing to do
    because it is not fun to disapline your child, easier to ignore and have fun, but again this is not good parenting

parenting is not fun all the time, it is a job, and jobs are not always fun
    that is why you think you are a bad mom for having to make your son mind
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• If you think that you are a bad mom then maybe you need to look at the routes of discipline that you are using. I have never thought that I was a bad mom b/c I discipline. I have a well behaved and very well mannered 2 1/2 yo b/c I enforce the rules of my home and don't accept any form of disrespect.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• why are most of the questions here using the word "bad" or "prego" ? LOL.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Discipline should be a natural lesson when growing up. Children need to learn consequences. If we, as parents don't teach them society will. A calm, patient parent will create a more nuturing learning experience than the harsh treatment of society. An example I'm thinking of is a parent giving timout for a misdeed in the privacy of their home. In school they may have time out, detention, who knows what in a situation where their peers are present causing embarrassment, humiliation and/or anger. Which would you rather have?
    e_room_steph

Answer by e_room_steph at 3:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• As long as you're not teaching him to mind by physically or mentally abusing him, I think you're doing the right thing. It is hard to set and enforce rules for our kids, especially when it makes them upset, but it's what they need. In the long run, it will pay off.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You're not his friend.
    You're his parent.
    He will get mad, he will pout, he will yell back, he will not appreciate you.
    Deal. With. It.

Why do so many people want to be "friends" with their kids? Oy.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• its not that i want to be a friend with my son. i know iam the parent and he is the child it is just a little different with my son he has disableities and iam not always sure if he knows why he is getting in trouble or if he does and is just playing me? it is hard to tell?
    gavinsmom0688

Comment by gavinsmom0688 (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2010