Are you tired of the Baby Boomer influence (or are you one of them)?

"Boomers have certainly sucked up a lot of cultural oxygen," says Leonard Steinhorn, 54, a communication professor at American University in Washington and author of The Greater Generation: In Defense of the Baby Boom Legacy.

"They are outsized. They changed America in deep and profound ways," he says. "It's natural for other generations to think they didn't get their time in the sun."

Link to full article: http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/parenting-family/2010-11-18-boomerloathing18_CV_N.htm

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Every generation complains about other generations. I am a boomer-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have no problem with the Baby Boomer influence. I am not a baby boomer but I do have respect for those who have lived longer than me and more than likely have more wisdom and common sense. To be honest I am sick of the influence the ME generation has on the country.

Anonymous

• jewjewbee, advertising is geared to ages 18-44, so it hasn't been geared to the majority of baby boomers in quite a while, and that's the generation with the most discretionary spending ability, so yes, the advertisers have lost out on a lot of their dollars, but I don't hear any in the boomers complaining about it. Most of them do not like advertising. And if you really think they're going to soon be in nursing homes, maybe you don't really know the age of baby boomers. It's those who were born between the years of 1946 and 1964, and funny how numbers work, they are now aged 46 to 64. The majority of them are still working, and unless they have some sort of medical problem, it's certainly not reasonable to think they'll soon be in nursing homes. This generation is not known for being angry. I'm not sure on what basis you're making your assumptions, but they're inaccurate.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was born in 1928, that makes me a member of the greatest generation.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Not tired of it. But it is nice to see advertising not soley geared to them anymore. And I do think it makes them angry somewhat that society is not catering to their every whim for the sake of their dollar or attention. There will soon be alot of angry residents in the nursing homes.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• ♥Proud to be a Boomer♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Baby Boomers are those who were born between the years of 1946 to 1964. I'm a Baby Boomer. I think the article was simplistic and polarizing.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'm not a boomer, but the baby boomers are the ones getting out and making their voices heard while a lot of us are part of the "lie down and take it" generation. Our generation are like trained sheep when it comes to making our voices heard. (I was born in 1974). While people in my generation and the one after are enthralled by MTV reality shows or whatever, the boomers are out there. A lot of them were part of the 1960's movements. They were young and protested and everything that we should be doing instead of worrying about trivial shit. I watched the documentary 1968 with Tom Brokaw and was riveted by the passion people had back then.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I am a tail end baby boomer, but the ones who came of age in the 60's are definetely not a category I would compare myself to.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Boomer here. Don't complain as long as you take my taxes to fund your entitlement programs.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2010