USA Today headline - Nearly 40% say marriage is becoming obsolete. Do you agree?

Link to full article: http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/sex-relationships/marriage/2010-11-18-1Amarriage18_ST_N.htm

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I've always felt that way, so yes. It's just a piece of paper, and doesn't make a person any more committed in a relationship.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Nope. The numbers may say it is but as long as there are still people willing to devote themselves legally to their significant other and promise to be true to only them marriage will not be obsolete.

I believe couples DO NOT need to be married to be happy but saying that marriage is obsolete is as bad as saying that couples who don't get married don't love each other as much as married ones do. I choose to be married to my partner. Looking down on that is snobby and uncalled for.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yep, always have agreed that it's obsolete.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yep, completely agree... Marriage was set up as a way to control children, women, lands & inheritance... Today, we don't have those needs - we're better than that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No. IMO the actual formal marriage (Not the big wedding) is about Love that has grown to the point of making a commitment and a promise to each other to stay faithful. A proclamation that you are/ he is the only one for you. *I* don't see how that could ever become obsolete.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It's obviously not obsolete. Marriages individually may end, but there are always people marrying, re-marrying.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 3:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I agree
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My thoughts.

Yes. Many of the reasons/benefits that were behind many couples reasons for marrying are no longer dependent on "marriage" any longer.

Any couple can: name whomever they choose as their beneficiaries for insurance purposes, property can have both person's names, their are palimony agreements that can be legally made, there are living wills that can be created..etc.. Many of the "legal' benefits can now be obtained by other legal means. As far as receiving Social security, etc, let's face it married or not most of us will never see a dime of that. There's no longer a stigma to: living together, having children outside of wedlock, etc. that there once was.

Marriage in the **legal** sense. Legal state sanctioned marriages were/are all about ownership/property/control. Many of the reasons are no longer valid in this day & age.

However. For many the moral/religious reasons for marriage will always exist
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010