What resources have other adoptive families used to help defray adoption costs? We have recently adopted and looking to start the process again.

whit1

Asked by whit1 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Adoption

• make sure u claim it on your taxes and you should get a huge credit...also look @ smaller agencies...they tend to be cheaper...are you doing private? dometic? international?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The one we just finallized was private which is what we prefer, but will probablly be domestic agency assisted. We're not having much luck with another private one. I know about the tax credit, but it's the funds upfront. Thank you for your reply:)
    whit1

Comment by whit1 (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• This will be no help whatsoever, but just tyring to share something silly/funny.. I just got a scam email from someone supposedly dying and wanting to share his money with people adopting. It was just shy of mentioning a Nigerian prince! I wrote back (bcc-ing our agency) to thank him and let him know our agency accepts donations. I am sure it was a scam.

We've had family give us money. My grandfather and great uncle both gave us money. We couldn't do it without them.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 8:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We saved the money the first time. It took several years to be matched, so we had time. The second time we used zero percent interest credit cards, then paid it back over several years with our tax refund. We used Catholic Charities, and neither adoption's fees were over $10,000.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't believe we can go through Catholic Charities if I recall. We have 3 kids already and they say you can only have 2 and I believe you have to have proof of infertility, which we don't. We have been ttc for 15 months with no luck.
    whit1

Comment by whit1 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• uuug...whit, I'm sooo sorry...I know how all that is...GL!!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• There are a lot of agencies that dont take all of the money up front. When you think about what you spend on a new car, it is just a question of finding a way to fit the same kind of monthly bill in the budget.
    Good Luck.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 11:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2010