Do you think it is a must to take a lamaze class?

I'm debaiting on whether or not to take a lamaze class.. I don't really have the money for it but I feel like it would be important to go through. Who of you have taken a class and did you find it benificial during labor?

NewMommie333

Asked by NewMommie333 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• IMO a birthing class (Lamaze or otherwise) it is a major plus not a must.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I took it with my first and after 14 hours of using it during labor it became useless cause I had an emergency c-section. BUT I will say that it is worth it for other things in your life! My mom took it once before I was born and to this day still uses it.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 3:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I didn't take any classes but I read tons of books and found the Bradley Method to be more of what I was looking for than Lamaze. I didn't take the Bradley classes but I did prepare myself from the books. It's not mandatory to take classes but it helps to know what to expect and to prepare your mind and put you at ease a little more.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I never did, and my kiddo came out just fine.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It is helpful!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Nope.. I've had two babies without a lamaze class
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I did not take it and birthed naturally without meds and was fine. I don't think it is a must.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 3:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think some sort of childbirth education is a must. If you can't afford the class, perhaps your hospital, doctor, pregnancy center, etc. has a lending library? We took a class with our first but for our second and third I borrowed the videos they use in class and just refreshed it all at home. =) I bet you can find stuff at the library too. I only remember one of the videos my class used, Comfort Measures. I'm sure there are many out there though. But yes, everyone should educate themselves to be more prepared IMO.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't think its a must but its a good tool to have while you are in labor. I have heard a lot of people use it - I used the first breathing technique the whole time - and it does help you relax a little bit. My sister-in-law recommeded yoga breathing techniques also.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• no i didn't do it and was fine
    lizdixson

Answer by lizdixson at 3:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010