Did they do the right thing by blocking the unemployment extension for 2 million?

WASHINGTON – Republicans in the House Thursday blocked a bill that would have extended jobless benefits for the long-term unemployed beyond the holiday season. An extension of jobless benefits enacted this summer expires Dec. 1, and unless they are renewed, two million people will lose benefits averaging $310 a week nationwide by the end of December.

The failed measure would have extended jobless benefits through the end of February at a cost of adding $12.5 billion to the nation's debt. Republicans opposing the legislation said the measure should be paid for by cutting unspent money from last year's economic stimulus bill.

The White House criticized Congress for failing to renew unemployment benefits with the holiday break approaching.

"I don't think we want to leave here having fought for tax cuts for millionaires and against unemployment insurance for those that have lost their jobs," spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To be honest it is sad to hear! My husband is unemployed! He has been laid off for about 2 yrs we figured he worked for 4 months out of 2 yrs for a construction company! He has been out there applying for jobs and going to all interviews with no luck! I have been so worried about our life lately with the money situation! I work but not enough to pay all of our bills and raise our children! I am so scared!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• All I know is I have a friend who has been on for 2 1/2 years and has done next to nothing to try and find a job. Its those who no longer should have the benefits!
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 3:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• GOP is wanting Democrats enact significant spending cuts before they’ll allow a vote on any unemployment extension bill. Sounds reasonable to me... Start cutting the waste...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It's called logic and accountability sweet... If the nation doesn't HAVE the revenue~ who is paying for the extensions?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sweets why won't you address the FACT that BILLIONS of UNSPENT stimulus dollars are available, and COULD be used to pay for the extension, but noooooooooooooooo, because those BILLIONS have been EARMARKED for something frivolous (no doubt), it would make too much sense to extend the benefits....so your DEMOCRATS are the ones who are "letting the people suffer!!!"

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• ..so your DEMOCRATS are the ones who are "letting the people suffer!!!"

Yes they are. They are the ones playing politics with peoples lives. They could agree to the extension with the stimulus money but they would rather portray the conservatives as heartless and for people like sweet, it works.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• They have been extended long enough. I know in my community we have jobs for those willing to work. Our unemployment rate is at 7 percent it was 4.9 percent before the economic downfall. I have been trying to find 8 people to work for me it has been impossible people showing up dirty or being rude during the interview. I looked up some of their facebook pages later to just see what they were up to one said they dodged another job. I called the idiot back and offered him 14 and hour to do basic maintenance full time with benefits. He said it was less than the 15 and hour he was making before so he would have to turn me down. I informed him I would be reporting him to the unemployment office and give them a copy of my offer to him that he declined. He tried to take it back but I made the call. I am sick of losers using this to their advantage right now.
    Anonymous

• No, its cold hearte dbullshi$. Yet they wanted an extended PAID break,...

I think the paid break is wrong, too... So, maybe they should cut their own spending?  Demand Accountability.  Rev up the fax machines and tell them to be responsible and accountable so they can come up with the $12++ billion needed to extend the benefits.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes, it has to stop somewhere. Why the hell won't the Dems use the money that is languishing in their coffers for this? Why do they insist it not be paid for?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I forgot about that stimulus "set aside" for future vote getting..................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010