Home birth and paperwork?

I have a question about the paperwork with a home birth. At the hospital, all that is basically done for you, and they just shove the papers at you for you to sign. How do you go about all the paperwork (SS# and birth certificate) when you have a home birth?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 3:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I varies state by state.

In GA, the midwife has a set of documents that she fills out for you. then you go down to the vital records office with the baby and the documents and apply for the birth certificate. Once you have the BC you take that, not the baby, to the Social Security office. You need mom's and dad's SS cards for both documents.

Now, the people at vital records here are stupid. They never requested that we bring DD in, which is good because vital records is in a nasty part of town, and then they put wrong information on almost every line.

You have to bring a proof of pregnancy as well to vital records. An ultrasound or a positive pregnancy test authorized by someone other than your home birth midwife is required.

Your state vital records department can tell you the exact process for where you live.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Good Question! I am interested to see how! I am sure if you plan it the hospital or your doctor will help you with that!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• if u have a dula or a midwife they can help u with that!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My friend's midwife (in CA) had all the necessary paperwork and info.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I got info about this from Laura Shanley's website.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Call your county courthouse and ask for the office that handles Births, Marriages, and Deaths (some are three different offices, some are only one). They'll tell you what they need to do and probably provide you the paperwork in advance if you ask...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2010