How long would you stay with someone....

living together, have kids, own a home etc... and not be married. (If you believe in marriage). Would you set a time limit? Have you?

bjojola

Asked by bjojola at 3:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I personally wouldn't have children with or buy a home with someone without being married. I'm a firm believer in living together before marriage, though. We only lived together for a few months before we got married, but I suppose that I would have been ok with living together for a year or so. After that if there was no marriage in sight, I don't think I would continue the relationship. I think people should do whatever is important to them (marry, don't marry, have kids, don't have kids, etc) but to me, marriage is important.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Forever... Marriage takes place in the heart, not in public.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I guess I don't really know. I would be VERY upset if my fiance hadn't wanted to marry or delayed it because he knew that was important to me and luckily it was important to him. To commment on what anon said, I ended up divorcing my husband because i didn't know what I was getting myself into (because we didn't live together first). My now fiance and I have been together for almost 4 years and will marry next year and are VERY happy. We both know what we are getting into. Maybe some people are different but for me living with someone first has definatly helped me know what I'm getting myself into for the long haul.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What was the point of moving in and building a life together if yall are not getting married
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I feel the same way as you worriedmommy! I am soo happy that my DF and I decided to live together first before getting married! I think we have actually gotten closer because of it! But again, just my personal experience!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Me personally..

As long as I loved and was loved.. As long as I was happy, fulfilled, appreciated, and satisfied with my relationship. As long as my needs were being met and I was able to meet my partners needs..

A marriage in my view is about the relationship between 2 people. Not a piece of paper filed with the state.. Marriage is about love, committment, devotion..etc.. Those things exist in a relationship without the relationship being recognized by the state. A relationship is based on the 2 people in it, not the state.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Why did you post anon? Thats not a horrible comment, its a true statement....
    bjojola

Comment by bjojola (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Anon comment is statistically correct. I feel the same way as worriedmommy. We have lived together for 2 years and I don't know if I should bring it up.

bjojola

Comment by bjojola (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• bjojola, if you don't mind me asking... Is this something that you want ( to get married)? If so, I think you should try talking to him and see how he feels about it! Good luck :)
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yeah its very important to me. It has been an understanding that we would at some point be married, but not anything we have talked about in quite awhile. I'm getting antsy lol.
    bjojola

Comment by bjojola (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010