When can I switch my son to a booster seat?

My 2 year old is 39 inches and 38lbs. He's getting too big for his car seat. When is it safe to switch to a booster seat? And do they make buckle covers so he can't unbuckle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are some boosters that you can switch them to at 30 lbs but most are 40 lbs. I HIGHLY recommend the ones with the backs....i just feel they are more safe! But as for a 2 year old i would say its way too early! Wait until hes at least 3!
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

•  it depends on state laws, but I think its 4 yrs or 40 lbs

http://www.elitecarseats.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=car_seat_laws

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Carseat safety isn't something to play with. I had the same problem when my son was about 7 months. He was too big for the rear facing carseat. His feet hung off about 6 inches and he was about 25 lbs. I opted to go ahhead and get him a regualr upstanding carseat. Its up to you in the fullest, but the sheriff station would probably have the best advice.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 4:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• he needs to be in a harnessed seat till a minimum of 4 years old

if you can tell me your budget, I can help you find a car seat with a higher harness weight
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010