• In the Spotlight:

How can I help my 5 month old sleep better??

My daughter is almost six months old. All of a sudden she is going back to waking up every two hours(she's never slept super well at night though), sometimes even every one and a half hours. During the day she's now taking two seperate two hour naps, if that. People have told me to put rice cereal or baby food in the bottle, do the bath routine before bed, give her baby food before bed...none of that has worked. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas so that she'll sleep in longer intervals. I'm a single mom and full time student with no family help- so needless to say all of this lack of sleep is REALLY difficult. Someone also told me she might be going through a growth spurt but still I'm still curious as to what helps babies sleep?? Thanks :)

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 2:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is a book called 90 Minute Sleep Solution by Dr. Polly Moore. It really helped us. (until recently but I think something else is going on). It is all about the natural sleep cycles of newborns and how parents can help babies enter their sleep states.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• my daughter did the same it could be a change in her enviernment if something recently changed it could have thrown her out of her normal rythm if not you could try johnsons bedtime bath it smells great and is supposed to help babies sleep and i would recommend having a bottle preped and ready to make when she wakes up and when she does pop it in her mouh and she will most likley pass right out again and it wont end up being a huge inconvenece (sorry my spelling sucks)
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 3:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• What makes them sleep? Being tired. *grin**

The changing patterns are unfortunately normal. Do you co-sleep? It will help.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep SOlution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have 10 month old twins that still won't sleep at night and I've done EVERYTHING under the sun to help them out. I think their are babies that are sleepers and babies that are not good sleepers.My girls won't sleep at all w/ out some white noise...a fan running or music that plays all night, maybe try that.My girls have had cereal in their bottles since 4 months, didn't make much difference for them...
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• There is a new product on the market called the magic sleepsuit (www.magicsleepsuit.com) designed to help babies sleep better and longer.
    Anonymous