Potty training help?

I have a 22 month old little boy that insists in not using his potty :/. He throws the biggest fits when we put him on the potty, and always wants to use his diaper instead. Any advice? (:

AmberLeTTeBxtcH

Asked by AmberLeTTeBxtcH at 4:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What happens if he is bare bottom and has no diaper?

Part of potty learning is cleaning up misses. Sometimes diaperless kids don't make it to the potty in time. Sometimes the pants get messy, other times the floor.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Like i tell everyone, try it once if hes not ready wait a month or longer and try again. If hes still not ready repeat. Hes not even 2 yet! Most boys dont get potty trained until 2 1/2 3 sometimes 4. Dont push it or you will regret it because he will backfire. Good luck but id say give it time!

We started "trying" at age 2 and my son wasnt ready until 2 1/2 and then one day he went on the potty and never put a diaper/pull back on. Thats the other thing i recommend, dont use pull ups.....just underware!
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I had that prob with my sons, too. I went out and bought underwear with their favorite cartoon characters and told them they couldn't wear them unless they used the potty. Stickers sometimes helped with my youngest.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 4:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My mom training us four kids potty training started even when we were not ready. She changed us into cloth diapers so we could feel more of the mess, and respond faster to get our butts changed. Then she would put underwear on top of the cloth diapers and say "Wow, you are such a big kid now, look how cool you look!"(remembering my little brothers potty training) and would tell Dad and have us show off our new undies to dad to feel more proud to take the next step. I guess the first step any of us should really do is to start with the inspiration of potty training like to go underwear shopping and to let them pick out what they want and to help your kid to feel proud by showing off the new attire to someone that is important to them. And constantly praise them as the big kid that they are now going to be. Even if it is just them watching you tinkle.
    tannsmith

Answer by tannsmith at 4:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• thank u all for ur answers so far. the main reason i am trying to potty train now is because he is always pulling his diaper off so i figured he'd be ready for it.
    AmberLeTTeBxtcH

Comment by AmberLeTTeBxtcH (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Amber its normal for little ones to be natural nudeists. But his other reactions show that hes not ready to be potty trained. So wait a bit longer with him.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I am currently potty training my 27 month old ds...he had been showing signs of wanting to use the potty for about a week and when i ran out of diapers i told him "no more diapers, only big boy underware" and we are now on day three...day one was rough and had 6 accidents, day two was great only one and also only one today so i think things are looking up for us....i just make sure to ask him every 20 to 30 mins if he needs to go and sometimes he even comes to let me know.....sorry so long just a proud momma here, i think you should wait a couple more weeks and look for signs that he is ready, good luck!
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 2:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2010