Do you keep your child's craft work they bring home from daycare or school?

I run a in home daycare & we are always doing crafts but just today I had a little girl say that every time she brings home a craft from my daycare it goes into the trsh! What would you do or what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• aww, that breaks my heart! i have saved everything my daughter brought home from the time she was two years old! my portfolio for her is over flowing as is the fridge LOL. i want to someday make a scrapbook so she can look at her little artwork when she is older :)

as for what you could or should do.. honestly nothing. its sad and not fair to the little girl but if her parents dont want to keep it, they have every right not to. poor thing :(

perhaps you could keep it at your home for her to view it?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I keep ONE thing, it goes on the fridge until there is a new one to replace it... Once they are in school, if they are getting awards or doing those "keepsake" kinds of crafts, that will be a little different, but it's seriously impossible to keep it all.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thats sad. But my DS teacher gave me a good suggestion: using as wrapping paper for the grandparents gifts or other family members.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 12:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• OMG! That's so sad. My son is only 2 but he's brought home a few things so far and of course I've kept them. I plan on getting a big plastic storage bin to keep all his stuff in like my mom did for me. I just hope everything fits in there over the years cuz I'll feel bad if I don't have room for it all.

Maybe you could keep the girl's projects at your house and display them on your fridge or something to make the girl feel special? That's so sad her mom does that :(
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Dont think there is much you can do. You are helping the kids to be creative. Maybe, if you have the room, post some of the artwork up on a wall in your home daycare. This way the kids get to see their work all the time. Then rotate it every now and again with some new artwork.

Another idea, depending on how close you'd be to the parents of this child. Maybe bring it up.
    My step son is 10... when he colors or doodles something, it goes on the fridge. When ever he makes something new, the old either goes in trash or we keep it. The sad part is, we only get him every other weekend, so we dont see many projects.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 4:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I keep stuff for all 4 of my kids. Always have.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• That is sad ... I don't know if there is anything you can really do or say without accidentally offending the parents....
    I have rubbermaid totes that I put my grandson's work in... he is now 9 and in the 4th grade and we are on tote #2
    tote #1 has from pre-school to 3rd grade work, art and awards in it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• There is nothing you can do. That's how some parents are. I hand my DDs work on the fridge, and then replace it with new work. I just rotate through it. Some I toss after display, others I keep in a file folder.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't keep everything my son has done for the past 6 years or that my daughter has done for the past 4 years. If I did, eventually I would have a garage full of papers! I keep the papers that are funny, silly, good, creative, smart or that show progress over the years. I also keep almost all of the holiday ones and use them to decorate for each holiday :)

Maybe the mom doesn't really throw everything in the trash, but maybe she does throw some of it away. You shouldn't change what you are doing though. You are teaching the kids a ton by doing crafts, it doesn't matter if the parents keep them, they're learning so much by you doing it with them :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 4:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• hang, not hand************
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010