Breast feeding moms! How do I keep my nipples from feeling like they are being torn off! lol They hurt SO bad!

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Time. The first week or two is the worst, especially if this is your first baby. If they are dry, use something like Lansinoh, with lanolin in it, it works wonders!
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 4:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Like the PP said...time. You just have to get used to it, but it does get better.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Make sure you have your baby latched on correctly! It never hurt me unless they were latched wrong.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• if your baby is only latching to the small part of the nipple, the pain is going to be excruciating! make sure he or she is latched properly, with his or her mouth completely around the big part of the nipple and some boob in his or her mouth. finding a good position might help for better latching for the two of you.

i agree lanolin cream is great for cracked nipples. you can also pump some to relieve the engorged feeling, and take a warm shower, not only will it help increase production but it's also brings relief. try not to let any milk dry onto your breasts, as that will make them become sticky. always wear a breastpad in your bra, so your bra doesn't stick to your boob. i had to peel my boob away from my bra enough times to learn that the hard way :(

GOOD LUCK! have you joined the breastfeeding group on here? great advice in there!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Did anyone counsel you in the hospital to make sure you were doing it correctly? You may have to contact someone in your area who is a member of the Le Leche League.
    http://www.llli.org/

Answer by admckenzie at 4:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Check with a lactation consultant if you think you might be doing it wrong. It didn't hurt when I first started. Maybe don't wait till the baby is starving. My son would latch on really hard if he was really hungry! LOL
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 4:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I guess I should probably add that I have what is called Inverted Nipples.. maybe that has something to do with the pain...I have to use a breast shild when he feeds and it works wonders as far as getting him latched on. And my Lactation consultant was awesome and she helped me with my first as well. However with my first i was on 3 different blood pressure meds so I could not breast feed I didn't get my milk .. So I am super excited this time around! I love the fact that I can make milk! ha ha... I will get some cream maybe thta will help! :)
    smarie1011

Comment by smarie1011 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The lanolin ointment like everyone suggested. Still sounds like an improper latch issue. Have you tried without using the shields?? I have inverted nipples too and BF four successfully without the shield so I know it can be done. Baby needs the areola in his/her mouth too. The milk ducts are behind the nipples themselves. Good Luck!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010