Does anyone have any experience with combo feeding?

I've been considering doing this when we have our next child cause I'm hoping it will help my over supply issues and help make it more emotionally and financially managable then the all or nothing route. Does anyone have any experience with it? If you plan on doing both do you start in the hospital or what?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to do both with all my kids. My twins were preemies and had to have high calorie formula and breastmilk. My youngest had both because I could not keep up with his demand -- he'd suck me dry and still take a 6 oz bottle his first week.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 4:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I both breastfeed and formula feed. I would breatfeed at home and formula feed in public because people have problems with breastfeeding. It also helped because I was having problems produecing milk. My baby was born 7 weeks early. Its good with saving money too.
    NevansMommy

Answer by NevansMommy at 4:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What issues are you hoping to overcome with combo feeding? You mention oversupply, but that can be easily fixed while nursing full time. Giving formula certainly won't help the issues that come with oversupply any quicker than just addressing them while exclusively nursing will.

As for when to start... if I were to ever consider it for any reason, I wouldn't start until my supply was established and the risk of nipple confusion was lessened. So, around 5-6 weeks at the earliest. Going back and forth from birth is risking nipple confusion and being forced to either pump or exclusively formula feed (and the former typically leads to the latter).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I did both with my oldest son because I had to go to back to work. We started at about 5 weeks and at first he was really mad but a few days of either a bottle or hunger at the sitter's and he was a champion. He loved nursing more than a bottle until he was about 10 months. Then he learned to walk and sitting still in mommies lap was too much for him. Of course this was when I was young and not so experienced to realize that babies should not walk around with a bottle. It didn't last long though because he went to a cup very quickly. It doesn't seem to have been a problem for him at all. My second was bottle fed from 4 weeks and my last 2 were exclusively breast fed. There's always a reason for each decision so just do what works best for you. Good luck.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 9:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It's not an easy fix for me though. I've done pumping and block feeding. I did everything I could last time to reduce my supply except birth control pills cause I can't take them. I'm hyperprolactic I think I just need to not stimulate production so much and then maybe I can avoid hurting my child and myself again. If this doesn't work all our children will just go straight to formula cause I won't risk hurting them.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• well, you don't necessarily have to give up breastfeeding for your child and future children. You can just breastbump and give them a bottle.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 3:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I own a breast pump I've used it but pumping seemed to just aggrivate the problem last time. Honestly if this doesn't work I'm not even going to try with any more of our children I won't hurt anymore of my children and am still trying to fight off mastitis 3 months after weaning.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 5:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2010