Is this appropriate for a teacher to do?

Is it appropriate for a teacher to call out report card grades to the children in a 5th grade class. These are not test grades, but report card grades, for everyone to know. ??

My daughter's teacher called out report card grades to the whole math class this week. My DD is very weak in math, and we have been working with her at home. In any case, she called out all the grades, hers was a "D". She feels bad for this, and was very embarrassed. I don't think its right, because this brings down a kid's self - esteem.

Am i wrong?

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No that wasn't right at all! coming from someone who was also bad in math in school. I was very embarrased for some one to even catch a glance at my paper let alone to be broadcast over the entire class. I would personally write her a letter and tell how you feel about it. If that didn't work I would call a Parent-Teacher confrence.
    future_mommy01

Answer by future_mommy01 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• you are not wrong. The teacher was insensitive. What a hurtful thing for her to do!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would be mad too. Its personal and should not be shared. Intentionally causing embarrassment to a child is so wrong and she should not be teaching if this is the way she is.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would talk to the teacher and ask her not to do this in the future. I might also talk directly to the principal. This seems to be unnecessary sharing of private information.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You are not wrong,the only people who needs to know the grades in that report card is the teacher,student and parents
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 4:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• that is complete BULLSHIT. my child would no longver be in that teachers class. public humiliation is NOT how you get kids to learn
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 4:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No your not wrong ,and I would be really mad if my child's teacher did that. In fact I would be mad enough to confront the teacher!
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I remember my math teacher doing that. She was so inconsiderate! But technically she can do that. GL to your daughter. I know exactly how she feels.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thank you ladies for your comments. Tonight is parent/teacher night and i wanted to get opinions to see if i was wrong, but i see you all feel the same way. Thanks so much!
    WifeyandMom71

Comment by WifeyandMom71 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I might ask if it's customary to do this, as it was never done when I was in school. My kids teachers don't do it either. Perhaps she was doing it simply to inform the kids that wanted to know what their grades were. Grades are called out all the time, so I wouldn't be that upset. That's just me.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010