My daughter has a friend who we do not really like the families lifestyle, what would you do?

My daughter has this little girl she likes at school but I do not really like her parents life style I let my daughter go by there house 2 times once for a sleep over and once for a bithday party! I would prefer that she does not go there any more due to how dirty they live, there partying, and trouble! We decided to always have something pop up when they want her over there and only to have the little girl here at our house. What would you do?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Invite the other child to your house but dont allow sleepovers or extended playdates. there is nothing wrong with being uncomfortable and wanting to avoid a potential disaster or tragedy
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 4:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You have the best answer right there. Have the girl at your house, that way your child can still have her friend, but when they invite, always have something come up, where your child can't go there. The only concession I would make would be for a birthday party. Then there will be other people there, or you could stay to "help". You've got it covered mama, and don't feel guilty, you are doind the absolute best thing for your child.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I had a friend like that growing up, even in high school. She was allowed at my house any time and in fact spent a lot of time at my house. However, I was never allowed at her house.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• the same as you.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was going to say have her over to your house
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• That's exactly what I did :) I always followed my instincts but made sure the other childs feelings weren't hurt. Not her fault! :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You are doing the right thing.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You have got the right idea!!! My dd has a couple of friends like that, and I try not to judge the child based on the parents (they really are good kids). I will caution you though, NEVER to say ANYTHING to your daughter about it, or let her in on the secret because kids say everything... it would ruin her friendship if the parents got offended and did not allow her friend over anymore, kwim?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I agree with u..i also have a daughter who has a friend in school that i don't like but my daughter has never been over her her house nor she over @ out house..
    nicoleNjeanna

Answer by nicoleNjeanna at 7:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I agree with you. My brother was friends with a boy who had a strange family. My parents decided to do that same as you. It turns out, we were a good influence on the boy. He stayed with us a lot and wound up doing well for himself. Good for you for not just cutting the child out of your life. You can probably do a lot of good for her.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2010