Flying with a baby

This summer my husband and I are planning a trip to Fl. we don't have time to drive so we are going to fly and take our baby who will be about 10 months old, any advice on flying and traveling with a 10 month old, this is my first baby.

courtcaton

Asked by courtcaton at 4:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Travel

• take lots of snacks, and during takeoff/landing give the baby a paci or bottle, it will help their ears. Also, take a few new toys or toys that havent been played with much. It will make things easier.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 4:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Hi, I did that and we were laid over for 5 hrs. So pack for situations that may arise that are out of your control. Extra diapers, snacks, bottles etc. When taking off and landing a bottle to suck on helps with the ears popping.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• How long will the trip be? We haven't flown with an infant for a couple of years and never for a super long flight or through anywhere that had long layovers. I'll tell you what though, having my stroller ready and waiting at each gate was a big help. =)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• This may be a stupid question but what does the baby sit in? Are you supposed to hold them?
    courtcaton

Comment by courtcaton (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You can hold them but I suggest you buy your child its own seat. Having done both, it's much easier when they have their own seat.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 5:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I agree it is much easier when they have their own seat. However, keep in mind the carseat needs to be aircraft approved. there should be sticker on it or it will say in the manual.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You hold your baby during the flight. They won't fit in the seats.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would have them sit with you. Same seat and seat belt. We flew when our daughter was 3 weeks old. We sat together, her on my lap, covered her ears for take offs and landings and shared a belt. It made me feel more calm. I used a front carrier when we walked around areas waiting to take off again. I brought 1 diaper bag + 1 carryone. 1 blanket and lots of food for her. She did excellent and slept the whole time darn near :) Make sure you bring reading materials, etc.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 4:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• We had to take my son on a plane when he was 4 months old. From what I was told the younger the baby, the easier. Just because they are less aware of what is going on. He slept through HORRIBLE turbulance and mostly the whole time. The only hastle was changing him. Oh my lol! But other than that, he did just fine. As far as a 10 month old goes though, I am not quite sure. I am however, about to take my 10 month old on a plane so I am also hoping that it will go just fine.
    BraydonsMama262

Answer by BraydonsMama262 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Get ready for your baby to SCREAM a lot! Trust me, babies hate flying!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:02 AM on Nov. 21, 2010