Is having the second baby easier? (Birth)

I heard that the second baby is easier when giving birth. Its comes faster and it's less painful is that true?

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've never heard people say less painful but maybe it is for some women? I won't know until my 2nd baby comes in decemeber! It is supposed to be quicker though as your body already knows what to do.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Well, in general I think all births are different and you just never know. But at the same time, your body has been through it before, you may have a better handle on the situation because it's been done before, etc. All three of mine were as painful, I was just more prepared the second time around. The first two were also right about the same length of time, but the third! lol The third pretty much just popped out. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't know about the pain cause I had epidurals and never felt any. But yes, the birth itself was easier... I pushed for over an hour with my oldest, my youngest more like fell out... I only had to push once...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My second birth was easier and less painful
    j2ul1y

Answer by j2ul1y at 5:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• my second pregnancy was easier but the birth wasn't. my first came out vaginally and i only pushed for 10 minutes. second time around i wound up with an emergency c-section, and would've split in two trying to push her out cause she was ten pounds. i think with the epidural though it's easy no matter what lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I knew what to expect the second time and maybe it was a little less painful,but I wasn't prepared for the afterbirth cramps that get worse with each child. Those really hurt.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 5:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• lol.....no not for me my first birth was 6 hours no problems......second birth was 16hours and had to have pitocin.....so no second child isnt always easyer.......heck if that was the case the duggars with 19kids the mom michelle wouldnt have any pain lol
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 5:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No it's not true, my first 4 deliveries was all different and most defidently wasn't any easier than the first.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Not a fact, but might be more likely.
    Consider that our biggest hurdle in labor might be our fear.
    Many moms have less fear after delivering once, this allows more ability to surrender.

Also the body can become more sensitive and efficient the more babies it grows.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• For some women it can be. Only because your body has done it before. My personal experience says yes it is easier. My labor with the second was longer, but when it came to pushing it was faster and easier. My third was even easier still he came out on the first contraction. The fourth IDK how his labor would have been as he was emergency c -section.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010