Are you pro choice and think it's wrong for a 70 yr old woman to have a baby?

You're either pro choice or you're not, right? So if a 70 yr old wants to have IVF and have a baby it's her body and her choice isn't it? If you don't think a woman should have a choice after a certain age then you're really not pro choice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• a 70yr woman? come on, that's a stretch. (not that she'd probably have any elasticity left..)
    however, i do see your point.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• who has the right to say its wrong or right? Thats a personal choice. Although at 70, I hope she has people willing to care for her child if she should become unable to care for them at some point in the future.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It was on a show on TLC. A 70 year old wanted a baby so she had IVF.

lol at the elasticity comment. : )
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Ummm, pro-choice refers to the right a woman has to have an abortion, if she so chooses. I doubt a 70 year old woman would ever find herself in that particular situation, so your point is kind of moot.... But IF by some miracle a 70 year old woman found herself pregnant and decided she couldn't handle a pregnancy, then yes, I would support her right to choose abortion.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I really dont see your logic.... and if a 70 woman had a baby exactly how long would she be around to be that babys mom. And then what hes an orphan? Nice job Mom, not selfish at all lol. As far as that having ANYTHING to do with being prochoice, I dont agree. And you cant really compare abortion to IVF. It sounds like youd rather start an argument and if you truely backed up your opinion you wouldnt have posted anon. The thing is niether of these situations is as black and white as you make it
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i am not "pro choice" exactly i am "pro circumstance" meaning i believe each and every situation is different and i believe certain circumstances are okay for abortions. one of them being the mother's life being in jeopardy if she already has other kids to take care of, the other being rape. i do not condone abortions as a form of birth control, in other words women who have had like 5. pro choice isn't black and white, nor is pro life. thats like saying all prolifers are anti death penalty.

and yes, i do think its wrong for a 70 year old woman to have a baby. how many more years can this woman have left? how healthy can it be for an elderly lady to have a baby? i dont even believe her body can sufficiently carry and birth a child. to each their own though..
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I am Pro-Choice. But I don't tend to agree with ANYONE having invetro or TTC, simply because there are so many children out there in need of a family and love... If you really want a child that bad, I feel you should try first to adopt or foster rather than have your own... And I would be concerned about anyone in that age category having children simply because there is little to no chance they will be around to raise that child properly in to adulthood...

For me being Pro-Choice isn't about "it's her body her choice" but more about the fact that I don't believe the government should have the right to decide what medical choices someone makes... And yes, that would include a 70yr old doing invetero... DO I agree with it? Nope, but I don't generally agree with abortion either. Doesn't change the fact that I am and always will be strongly Pro-Choice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Interesting point.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• She won't have much nutrients in her body to support that baby.... but yup her body.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Not exactly true, I'm totally pro-choice but I'm also concerned about the well being of the child. Is this really fair to the child? Wouldn't you rather have a mother that has the energy to play games with you, go to dance recitals or sporting events! There's more involved than just giving birth!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010