We need housing and Sec 8 is full.

We relocted to another state because my hubby couldn't get a job in our homestate, so he took a job with one of his friends. The kids are sleeping on the couch, while hubby and I take one of the bedrooms. I've been trying to seek Sec 8/Subsidizied housing and their waiting list is full. We're a family of 5 and properties won't let us in a 2 bedroom. Well the 3 bedrooms are $900 - $1200 per month, plus utitilities. Well that's not 3x of our income, its only 2x of our income. I'm unemployed, looking for a job.

Any options?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Try Sec 8 in another county?
    Anonymous

• I hate to sound like a downer but it sounds like you'll be staying at the friends house for a while longer until you get a job and can both save up money to pay the down payment and first months rent. Good luck.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sorry to tell you, but Section 8/Housing is like that everywhere. The best advice I can give you is to try to save up as much money as possible and get yourself into a house soon.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Wow, here in Missouri, in my county Section 8 is about 50 pages too full! Can you rent from any of the low income apartments? Some around here base the rent on the income level.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The Trick is to do your application, tell them you and your family are staying in a shelter (1 of you may have to actually stay for about 1 week) and that will either get you bumped to the top of the list for a voucher OR until they can get you a voucher they may be able to get you into a 3 bedroom apartment, I fell on hard times before and had to do that I still had to wait 1 year for a voucher BUT I was put in a 3 bedroom apartment where all I had to pay was $6 a month. GL
    Anonymous

• Look into public housing. There's a waiting list for that too, but it may be shorter than the sec 8 list.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 5:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

DON'T DO THIS. You can get into a lot of trouble if they found out you lied. Plus, if you try to apply for food stamps, they'll ask for your home address.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, we're #2,914 on the list that has maybe 20 turnover a year so, what's that, 100 years, we'll, I guess our great grandkids might get it when it's time for them to retire.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 10:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Keep looking for a job.
    Also, I would put the kids in the bedroom and sleep in the living room. This gives you a chance to do things after the kids are asleep, and a little more freedom.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I agree with some of the others. Keep looking for a job. And shop around, too. You never know, you might be able to find a rental in your budget without section 8. Just be patient.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2010