How to gain weight while dealing with gestational diabetes?

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 28 weeks. I have gained a total of 10 lbs and still having problem gaining. I'm an athletic/muscle built, and before I was pregnant, have a ridiculous metabolism.
Does anyone know a way to stay full without eating 3 plates at a buffet? Because the diabetes, I've cut off all simple carbs and sugar; eating only protein, vege, fiber rich and whole wheat grain, but its making life impossible to stay full for even 2 hours, and apparently weight gain has become impossible :( If I don't keep my blood sugar down, I'm gonna end up on insulin, I REALLY don't want that.

chilchix

Asked by chilchix at 5:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't worry too much about weight gain. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and I actually LOST weight. The doctor said it was ok, as long as the baby was growing.
    As for staying full, fill up on your low carb foods. I used to eat huge salads, cheese, eggs and veggies such as celery (which was great with peanut butter. And that WAS between meals!
    Good luck!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Are you able to eat small amounts frequently, to stay full? I didn't have diabetes and I only gained 9# with my pregnancy and my son was 8-2. don't go by how much you are gaining, focus on your hunger adn your blood sugars. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Why MUST you gain weight? If you are eating often and your baby is growing and healthy, you don't have to gain a ton - I know the full baby weight and blood is 25 so you will probably be losing weight but its not like you are doing it unhealthy - you are still eating - plus sometimes you just can't control your insulin levels no matter what you do - I had to go on the shots near the end because no matter what I did, I was all over the place. Bring tons of snacks so you CAN eat every 2 hours.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• small meals doesn't fill me up, I'm usually hungry in 2 hours
    chilchix

Comment by chilchix (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010