How can I encourage healing of my 1/4 inch cracked nipple???

It's been there for over a week. My son is 14 months and has a great latch. I don't know what caused the crack, discovered it after a nipple check because of pain during nursing. I have reduced feedings on that side to 3x/day but it's not getting better. I use lanolin. The crack seems to be getting bigger (I think).

MrsRich

Asked by MrsRich at 2:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Health

• EDITED TO ADD THE END OF THE STORY...

I never came back to update this question - sorry! After trying everything, I ended up having to stop nursing him on that side entirely for 2 days or so. I hand-expressed a little to make sure I wouldn't get mastitis. It healed almost entirely within the first day of no nursing, and then by the end of the second day I was able to start nursing him again on that side without it tearing back open.

*** I want to add here that I am a pretty seasoned breastfeeding mom. Please, if you are a new mom and not completely comfortable with nursing, don't try to deal with this on your own. It is so easy to lose your milk and you don't want to risk that!
    MrsRich

Answer by MrsRich at 12:44 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't know what kind of lanolin you have but I used the lanolin pads (pad with lanolin already on it). This way I could keep a pad in my bra 24 hours a day!! Maybe try pumping for a couple of days.

Ouch! Good luck
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• The main cause of cracked or bleeding nipples is improper positioning of the baby at the breast. This also causes severe nipple pain. Correcting your nursing technique can substantially soothe or cure cracked nipples. Sometimes just the slightest correction of positioning will make a world of difference.
    • Rub a little breast milk on your nipples after each feeding and let it air dry. The milk actually helps heal them.
    • Don't use soap, alcohol, lotions, or perfumes on the nipples. Bathing with clear water is all it takes to keep your breasts and nipples clean.
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 3:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• • Take painkillers. If the pain is severe, you can take a mild painkiller (acetaminophen or ibuprofen) about 30 minutes before nursing.
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 3:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Try a different position. If you normally do cradle hold try football, or vice versa. I know since he is 14 months that hold may be difficult (I never found it to work well for me but others love it) if that isn't good, try laying down maybe. Also some lanolins are better than others many prefer Lansinoh brand over the Medela. Also use some expressed milk on it and let it air dry. Another poster suggested pumping for a couple of days, that also may help. Good Luck, I'm sure that is miserable.
    sarabear524

Answer by sarabear524 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I had a lot of the same problems (blisters and cracking) really can't remember the name, but I had a lactation consultant give me this silicon pads that you can keep in the refridgerator to place over your nipples after nursing. They were a godsend. If you want a cheaper fix....find a boo boo buddy (children's cold pack) and place in your bra after pumping for a few days with a little bacitracin on your nipple. (Make sure you wipe it back off before nursing or pumping though)
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• After a feeding, squeeze out a little breastmilk and rub it gently onto your nipple and areola. Let it completely air dry! Then you can put your bra back on and go about your business. Breastmilk will heal it right up, but only if you let it dry!
    BabyCatchinMama

Answer by BabyCatchinMama at 1:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I think the pads kimebs might be talking about are soothies. Lansinoh lanolin has always worked for me. If this is not the brand you have, you may want to try it. also, are you putting it on often? that's all i got, hope you get relief soon! 

AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 2:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Do you think a little thrush might be going on? Its just odd to have cracked at this point with a good latch too.. new tooth or anything? Lanolin always made it worse for me the breastmilk drying really helps the most imo. Could add some probiotics, can't hurt any :)
    Banani263

Answer by Banani263 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2008