DH and I have been debating getting the kids a Wii for Christmas...he thinks they are too young.

The children are 9,7 and 5...they have not played computer games very much at all in the past. I think they could have a lot of fun but am conflicted because while I want them to have fun I also want them playing imaginative games from their own heads and outside. Is a Wii system a lot of fun for kids of this age?

bookworm23

Asked by bookworm23 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Entertainment

• They will absolutely love it! And they have to move to play, so excercise too!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 5:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Where I work, we have a recreation room. The kids of all ages LOVE the Wii. Even the younger ones.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Girl, we were stuck between the Wii and the new Xbox 360 Kinect. We finally bought the Xbox. Not having to use a remote is awesome and I would recommend it to any parent!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• we dont have one unfortunately, we have a playstation but are contemplating buying the Move remote (similar to the wii and xbox kinect) but it would mostly be for us because our oldest is 4, although i know there are some games she could play on it.

i think for the ages of your kids it would be a wonderful gift! they can play together and move around for exercise. sounds like one big gift to all of them from santa! :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• the 360/kinect is the way to go! No remotes to have to worry about flying through the air/window/tv screen!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• They will LOVE it! My 3 year old can play some of the games and others he enjoys pretending to play! It's tons of fun but make sure they wear the wrist straps my step brothers friend threw a remote through his flat screen and my brothers remote left in big dent in the wall =)
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 5:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes, it is a great system and a lot of fun as long as you and DH are prepared to set some limits. I agree with you, and had the same concerns. We allow up to 1 hour of screen time a day for our 8 year old as long as his school work, reading, music and a few daily chores like feeding/watering his pony are finished. Our 5 year old plays every now and then about 30 minutes at a time. I can recommend the I SPY game for your 5 year old!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• They are of the right age to start playing the Wii. There are a lot of games that use their coordination, stradegy, etc. Especially if you get the Wii Fit Board. I wold recommend getting them the game. Dh's Cousin's kids are 9 and 7 (I think) and both are masters at most of the games on there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was contemplating the X Box 360 Kinect but was told the games for this age group are very limited and that in the past X box has catered to adults and teens. Was a little worried they would get bored with a very small collection of games to choose from. The X box comes in 2 sizes what size is recc. for this age group the 4 GB or the 250 GB?
    bookworm23

Comment by bookworm23 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have the Wii and my son (20yrs) has the Kinecht. The wii is definetly better for kids your age. Both are excellent fun and so far I've lost 20 lbs playing them. Great exercise and you're having fun! Beats the gym :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010