Epidural question...

So when I had my first, I had an epidural but it seamed like they gave it to me just for the contractions. It wore off when I had to push and I felt the whole thing. I've heard people post that they didn't feel any pain because they had an epidural. Is it supposed to wear off or are you supposed to be numb until the baby is out?

TaiyoandMe

Asked by TaiyoandMe at 5:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They're supposed to have a 'Quick Burst' Epidural button hooked to your IV, so when it starts wearing off you can push the button to get another dose. It will eventually wear off, especially if your delivery is long and you got it at the beginning. With my first I didn't feel much, but a little. With my second I felt the delivery very well, not fun.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I had 2 epidurals and 2 spinals. the only time I did not feel pain at all is with the spinals. The feeling I had with the spinal was the worse feeling I ever had in my life. I hope I don't have to have another one again as long as I live.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• that depends on how far along in the pregnancy u got it, how long it lasts
    I didnt get my epidural until I was 8cm and it didnt do anything for me I still felt everything
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 5:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Both epidurals had me numb until the baby was delivered. The first baby was 11.1 and would not have been delivered without that epidural! I think it is important also not to have the epidural too early, I did wait.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I had epidurals when I had both of my children. The first time it wore off right when I reached 10cm so they wouldn't give me another dose because it was too late, I ended up pushing for 2 hours and was totally miserable but well worth it. With my second my first dose wore off at 8cm and they gave me another dose and I didn't feel the delivery at all, it was soooo easy compared to the first.
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 5:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yeah, you are supposed to be able to "dial up" the medicine if you need to.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The first time, I had a light epidural, where it relaxed my midsection, but I could still feel my contractions and could still get up to walk.
    The second time, I had a full epidural, which made me feel nothing but pressure. That time, I couldn't even move my legs. It didn't wear off either time, and I had a really easy time pushing.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have had 2 different types of epidural... for my son I got it when I was dialated about 7 , they turned it off right before i started pushing and said it would take about 2 hrs to completely wear off, I had to push for an hour because I couldnt feel anything until it started wearing off a little and i could finally feel what I should be doing. For the second I had a button to push, unfortunately I waited to long to get it and it did not even take effect until after the baby was out...i only had to push 3 times for her so it was pretty quick, the only thing that went numb was my left leg at first and after I pushed the button *right before I pushed* it took about 20 minutes for me to get completely numb *after she was already born*
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My friend and I have our kids just days apart. She went to one hospital I went to another. Her doctors let her epidural wear off so she could push, my doctors left mine in til well after labor was over.

I had completely pain free delivery, she did not... It was simply a difference in doctors/hospitals... That's it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Ideally they want you to be able to feel the need to push. So it should be wearing off about that time. It depends on the hospital and your doctor.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010