Forced busing for more diversity in public schools?

Do you think that school districts should bus kids away from their closest home school in order to maintain a certain percentage of white/black students? In 2007 the US supreme court handed down a ruling stating my county could no longer use race as a factor in school assignments. So now they use economic status to accomplish the same goals of racial diversity. The outcome from this busing is kindergardeners being bused 20-40 minutes away from home, parents from low income neighborhoods with no transportation not being able to participate in school activities due to their childs school being on the other side of the county. So what do you think is more important? A racially diverse enviornment for the kids, or being closer to home at a young age? We seem to have a lot of out of towners baffled by our school assignment plan. Is it like this anywhere else?

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 5:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

•  So now they use economic status to accomplish the same goals of racial diversity

Why do you think its to acheive racial diversity and not an issue with taxes?

Are you from N. Carolina?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No I do not. The SCOTUS determined that "equal education" doesn't mean that the population is equal. It means the education offered and the money spent is equal. People move and adjust every time they bus. People want to go to neighborhood schools. They are happier in neighborhood schools.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Not in my city. We have open enrollment so anyone can come after applying as long as the space is there.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Interesting point from sweet-a-kins. I just got a survey in the mail from my daughter's school today asking what my income is because the schools are given extra money and/or breaks on bills for technology-related services and equipment based on income. This is is the first I've heard of it, but it makes some things more clear to me. I've noticed for years how the schools in "lower income" areas always had the most advanced stuff. I'm starting to see it even out, though. Maybe because of increased financial diversity. (side note: My daughter goes to school in a middle class neighborhood. They bus TONS of kids in, and there probably wouldn't be enough kids there if they didn't)

To answer your question, though, I think kids should be allowed to go to whichever school they want, within reason, as long as they can get there. No one should be "forced", though.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 6:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'm in Kentucky. And we know its to achieve the same racial guidelines as they have stated it. And came close to more lawsuits in the process.
    MissAlisabeth

Comment by MissAlisabeth (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Basically what they are doing is busing those who live in our west end to the east and the east to the west. They say they are using income but our east end is predominantly higher income, white neighborhoods. The west is more downtown, predominately black neighborhoods. I am more lucky to live in the south end of town where we are already pretty diverse so I did get my son in our home school.
    MissAlisabeth

Comment by MissAlisabeth (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• There has to be a better way than busing.  I lived thru busing in L.A. County during the 80's. I was lucky enough to never be bused too far but I knew kids who had to get up at 4am to catch the bus, all I saw come from it was more fights.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I lived through busing in the 70's and it was no fun. I ended up going to a high school on the other end of town from where I lived.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Diverstiy is a bunch of crap. Even when you group different people together they still dediversify themselves.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

•  I've noticed for years how the schools in "lower income" areas always had the most advanced stuff.

Where I live, we are right in the middle and we definately do NOT have the most advanced stuff. In fact, the HOME & SCHOOL (PTA) is making up the difference and purchasing things to help. Some of the schools that are a little poorer have SQUAT! and the nicer districts? they have EVERYTHING including laptops from 7th grade on up for ALL students

But anyway, OP...Why do you think its for RACIAL diversity?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010