Anyone have suggestions?

My inlaws smoke in their home, ALOT but they do not smoke when we come over...But I am concerned that the smoke is still lingering and is bad for my 7 month old daughter..My husband doesn't think so...So I was wondering if anyone knew where I can find some info(like a link or a website) to see if it is bad for her...

Kelly2573

Asked by Kelly2573 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes google the term "Third Hand Smoke" toxins in cigarettes linger in furniture, walls, floors and such for up to 2 years and re-circulate in the air.

My MIL smokes as does all the BIL's and SIL's and we either stay outside or try to host here so there is no smoking near us. But maybe once or twice a year we have to endure the stench of being in one of their houses
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes, when my son was 1 he got real sick, high fever, hard time breathing, I took him to the hospital and the first question the doctor asked was "Does anyone smoke around this baby?" I said not in the house but his grandparents smoke outside..... My son came within inches of catching asthma even with them smoking outside, we had to stay at the hospital for 6 hours while he got 3 breathing treatments and got sent home with an emergency inhailer.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It is called "third hand smoke", do a search with those terms, you will find tons of info and research about how bad it is.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Bad for your baby, all the chemicals and toxins. Hope your hubby informs himself.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Maybe you can gently offer to keep some extra clothes in a guest room at your house for the in-laws that are smoke free.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 6:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'd try to cut down on time there as much as possible. Try meeting them in the park or out for dinner or invite them over more.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes it is bad. Lots of toxins! The difficult problem is if you're going to stop taking your bably to the inlaws house! Good luck with that one!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 6:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't have a link or website, but like others said, google third hand smoke. My great-nephew was born with fluid in his lungs and his parents were told to completely stop smoking. That the residual smoke on their clothes was enough to cause problems with his breathing. So it is definetely a good idea to get educated on third hard smoke. Maybe try to get your in-laws to come to your house more often, as opposd to you going to theirs.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You can either take Lysol spray and wipes over there and wipe down the areas your DD will be, ask them to, or ask them to come to your house. Yes, its bad for her.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Even if you show them the links they may still pull the "this is my house " card. My in law's still refused after I showed the pamphlets about third hand smoking. Do what I should have done, stop going over. Instead they can cone to you. I didn't make that decision fast enough and my 4yr old developed asthma due to their smoking. We tried to stay in their home and Luke ended up in the hospital with a asthma attack. Now we dontgo over anymore and Luke doesn't have issues. I figure if its important to them to see thier grandsons they can come over or start smoking outside
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 11:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2010