Pet Peeve

Is anyone else bothered by spelling or grammatical errors that are everywhere today? I catch errors in the newspaper, books, magazines etc. I'm not being judgmental, it's just a pet peeve of mine. And, I cringe whenever I hear people talk like they never went to school.

booksandhooks

Asked by booksandhooks at 5:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When I was a tutor in college, you wouldn't believe how many people do not know how to write, or what words to use to correctly say something. I was extremely shocked, I mean a lot of people had to take English one, and that is learning what a verb is what a noun is and so on. It is disheartening. On a side note, my pet peeves are sounds, for example a dog cleaning himself, or drinking water. Those sounds drive me absolutely nuts, LoL and I have a dog but she is very small only 4 pounds and I can't hear her doing this, it is the big dogs that get me.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 6:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• To each their own.

Answer by louise2 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I must admit, I have what is considered a gifted IQ, but I am a horrible speller. I am usually aware when I make an error and look it up or try to use the spell check. I am also not that great with grammar. I struggled with that in school. Spelling and grammar errors sometimes have nothing to do with lack of education and intelligence.
    BUT, that being said, believe it or not, people who lack skills in spelling and grammar need advice too. If you can't bring yourself to read and/or answer the questions, please skip them without being critical. We are here to help everyone, not just those with correct spelling and grammar.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'm right there with you, it's a MAJOR pet peeve for me too. Especially since English isn't my first language, I just can't believe how many people can't even use proper spelling/grammar in their own friggin' language! And yes, I know friggin' isn't really a word, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• you means when peeple talk liek thay aint got no edumacation and thay caint use no punctuation when they type sos you never really ever knows whatntha hell thay be talkin bout an all?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It bothers me too. But....it usually inspires people to get really irate if you point it out. So. I guess its pointkless to mention it.
    I wonder how people are able to graduate without the ability to write and spell?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Oh yah.....my dog licks her paws all the time and I don't like that sound. But people snapping and popping their gum is my biggest pet peeve!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• So. I guess its pointkless to mention
    --------------------
    OK....that was a TYPO! LOL.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2010