How do you feel about segregation (by race) in schools? And are the schools in your area segregated at all?

Before I get jumped all over for being 40 years to late, YES, there are still a small number of districts that do this... How do YOU feel about the fact that it's still being done? What would you do if your child's school was looking to reinstate these kinds of rules?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Are you serious, this is still being done? Isn't that illegal? Personally, I think it's dispicable, and there is no way in hell I'd let my child go to a school like that.... I swear, I thank my lucky stars nearly every day for living in the SF Bay Area, stuff like that would NEVER fly around here!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What school districts are still doing this? Can you provide some more information on that? Or a link to a school that is still doing it. I just can't believe that there are still schools doing this. They are definatly not public schools, and I doubt private schools can do it either. What is your source of information?
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 6:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Well... I would like to have more diversity in my school. Seriously, we see a black person maybe once a month. There aren't any in the school. I think it would be nice for my kids to get more exposure to variety. Now, I wouldn't want my child bussed anywhere (not for any reason than they would be on a bus for a long time)
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• wow im shocked and appalled that this is still going on. where is this going on in?
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Wow! Time warp! I just spent an entire day in the Civil Rights Museum on a recent trip tp Memphis, TN. I thought we had handled this issue - after a great deal of turmoil, suffering, and even death. How is this still a current problem? Please elaborate!

BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 6:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Segregation in schools? What???!???
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 6:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• There is no segregation in the Twin Cities and there are a bunch of minorities.
    we lived in Vegas in the late 1970's, they bused. My daughter was bused to a 6th Grade center---it was in North Las Vegas. It was a nice school and the kids did well...but they had security guards there. And that was a LONG time ago. I was a little worried but it was just fine.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'll look for some links, it's mostly a GA thing from what I understand. However some of the interviews I have read from students say that they prefer it that way. Apparently it's only done in areas where racial issues are very very strong and it's a safety issue. One boy said he felt safer because he has to "watch his back" outside of school, at least this way he can feel safe in school.

I'll see what I can find though, most of the articles are actually about segregated proms, but if you read them they all make note that every day school is split as well...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Here, this is REALLY LONG, and it's from 2001, but it's the closest I can find besides articles about proms and parties...

http://aysps.gsu.edu/publications/segregated_schools.pdf

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• can you tell me where this hick town is I thought this was against the law and further more I would have moved out of that town long before now
    1212tink

Answer by 1212tink at 6:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2010