School social worker at parent/teacher confernce?

My kindtergarten daughter has never been in a school setting before and is an only child. As such she was behind in following rules and socialization. She started the year off really poorly with regular trips to the principal's office. I took her to a counselor after I had to have a meeting with the school psychologist about her behavior (he said she is very smart and just needs to learn to listen and adhere to rules) as well as a call from the school social worker. Her teacher requested that she be taken from her 2 1/2 hour school day to meet with the social worker to 'find out how she thinks'. Now, I told her at the time I would see what the therapist had to say. The therapist said that our school district is not one she likes. That if we were in any other district I wouldn't have even been in her office. That my daughter is a normal kid who has above average intelligence, is stubborn and is just learning how (more)

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 6:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is this normal for kids who do not fit the mold?

Yes, and it can be such a pain because you know your child better yet "sometimes" school professionals who have only known your child for a few weeks think they know everything about your child. At my son's last conference there was the asst. principal, the school psychologist, the guidance counselor, the teacher, and both my husband and I there. The school psychologist wanted a meeting at my house. I have bent over backwards meeting their requests because I know that it is best for my son. Luckily, my son seems to be adjusting better (fingers crossed) and we were suppose to have a meeting (with all the same people) on Monday, but it was cancelled because there wasn't really a need. Anyways, I feel your pain and I wish you luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• to be in a school setting. I told both her teacher and the school psychologist what she said (excluding about the school district).

Since then we've worked a lot with her on her behavior and she has improved greatly. Her teacher commented on it to me last week. She has not been to the principal's office since early September. I do know that this past week has been rough but she hasn't been sleeping properly and that makes her cranky.

Now, I got my appointment for my parent teacher conference and it has a note that the social worker for the school will be there as well. Do I have the right to say that I don't want her to have these meetings with her, especially since a 'real' therapist said not to worry (and that she will tell them to back off if I need her to)? Is this normal for kids who do not fit the mold?
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• A meeting at your house? WTH? I don't think so.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Is it the school social worker or the state social worker from DHR? If it is just the school social worker I would think you could request her not to be there. If it is the state then no, you are stuck with her there. I would be tempted to speak with an attorney and possibly have them present at this conference.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It is a school social worker.
    I had 'real' in parenthesis for a reason. I do know that the school worker has a degree as well. The therapist we went to was recomended by our pediatrician so I do believe that she knows what she is talking about.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Oh, and trust me, I had doubts about the district before this happened.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It doesn't do any harm to have the school therapist at the parent-teacher conference; you can relay again what your therapist said, and see what she has to say. If you are adamant that she not attend, tell the teacher that you don't want her there. If the teacher balks, tell the principle what's going on.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• a 'real' therapist??? Do you realize that most school social workers have the same training as therapist?? Do you realize that most therapist have their degree in social work?
    Trust me, I work at a school for kids with social/emotional disorders and most 'real' therapist aren't worth their weight in salt.
    Before you condemn the social worker and the school district, why don't you listen to what they have to say?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2010