I just cut off our home phone.....

except for 200 local calls a month. We never use our home phone so I started to cut off the extra thingys and long distance and the operator talked me into measured rate service for $5.00 a month from $40. That is some savings. She even guaranteed that if I use the phone more and there are extra calls that I will not have to pay the bill. (We'll see about that) but at least for now I have saved $35. I did not cut off internet cuz we have dsl for $15 and my kids use the computer for school.
I'm thinking of doing something similar with cable but I'll lose MY favorite channel Disney XD LOL
What have you done to reduce some bills?

mom2priceboys

Asked by mom2priceboys at 7:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• We've been doing so much to save money. We turned off the house phone because we all have cell phones. That's $40. We cut off the cable and got Netflix for $8.00/ month. Unlimited moves instantly. We saved $70. there. We downgraded our storage from $151. to $51 a month, $100. there. $210 so far, and we've done so much more.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What a great way to save.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yeah, we haven't had a home phone in about 5 years! Just one cell phone. $40 a month through Metro PCS and then internet through ATT for 37. WE really do need to get DH a pre-paid phone for emergencies though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We went down to one car for now.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I cut out the home phone about 8 years ago! We're never home anyway! LOL! I'm not cutting back on internet or cable though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• That's smart
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 9:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sharelle8710 - we did that last year and so far so good except out 1 car broke dow the other day and we can't figure out what is wrong, so it has to get to a shop and well that's $$$ and it; s the money that we saved up for christmas. So we have to decide what to do fix the car or get the family christmas????? We do live in a small town and can walk places and bum rides and if push came to shove we could rent a car if we had to get out of town.
    Thanks everybody else for confirming that what I did was right.....Julie
    mom2priceboys

Comment by mom2priceboys (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I called our cable company and told them to urn it off. Said I couldn't afford it. They offerd to knock 30 dollars off. that was enough for me. Maybe try that.We just cut back on extras with groceries and started clipping coupons.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2010