am i wrong for feeling like this?

we are already really strapped. my husband said he would go on a church camping trip for the youth but he has to pay for his own gas and he would have to take time off work to do this. we don't even have gas for our own vehicles. he has been staying at his parents house during the wk to save on gas. we have been using our credit cards to pay for gas. we just got the church to pay over $500 of our bills to help us out. i actually said to me well we can put the money on the credit card. i don't want to put everything on there. i have even sold my daughters play house, offering my dog grooming skills for peanuts, i get child support and paid some bills and left just enough for us to get by til next wk. i'm so pissed that he is going to go anyway? i'm so stressed our the money and yet he wants a laptop for his bday and xmas. which we would put on bestbuy card. i want 2 live within our means. would you be mad? i'm really hurt

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• If he's committed to the church youth group to go on the camping trip, and the church just gave you 500 to cover your bills, don't you think the camping trip is the least he can do in return?

I'm sorry, but a commitment is a commitment, and he should stick to his word. I'd say though that he could probably live without the electronics for his birthday and xmas.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• thats the thing he wasn't committed until after we got the help and i don't think the church would have us be spending money we don't have just to have to go back to them for help. i think they would feel that the charity should be in your home first and that at this point he should pay his tithe which we do and offer his time which doesn't cost us anything. he going to use up a $100 in gas cause of the distance and i left exactly $93 for the rest of the wk til next cs paymeny.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes, I'd be upset. I'm very surprised the church agreed for him to go, since he's got to pay for the gas to go. And they just helped you guys out. They know you guys are bad off with money right now. UNLESS he told them otherwise. Or lead them to believe otherwise. I understand him wanting to give back to the church, but, he's got to take care of his family first. And you are right, there are other ways he can give back, give more to the church that isn't going to cost you guys anything.
    And yes, I agree that he can do without that laptop. If things are that bad right now, he can do without. Our anniversary is right before Christmas. Our oldest son's birthday is today, our daughters birthday is just before our anniversary. We have never really done anything for our anniversary. We will be married for 15 years this year. We generally don't have the money, so what we have, goes to the kids. He can go without.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• our bishop doesn't know and i worry what he would think if he heard about that! raine i know how you feel. it seems the money isn't there for anything special. happy anniversary!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'd be upset also.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I will tell you from experience, those credit cards will end up hurting you in the end. We have been 5 years without using a credit card. And it does get tight, we are low sometimes and have to limit travel because money is tight and gas is low. Your dh needs to realize that you have to sacrifice your wants and even your needs at times! As far as the trip, if they are counting on him he should go!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2010