Do you believe?

Do you believe a child should be made sterile if diagnosed as "insert whatever"?
If they are diagnosed with something that makes them unable to take care of themselves, should they be able to have children.

Although, I think she is a TROLL, that lady today got me thinking.

dancinintherain

Asked by dancinintherain at 7:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Sorry, ran out of room...

The grandparents clearly had the babies interest at heart, even to the point of breaking their own daughters heart. But who gets to make that choice? As this story ended the courts ruled that they could keep the baby as long as they completed care classes and CPS got involved to keep tabs on things long term.

I can understand both sides. But who gets to decide THIS couple should loose their right to have children when there are so many out there who are NOT disabled who clearly shouldn't have children? This couple loved that baby from day one and fought to keep her, they wanted her, even though they were "disabled." There are so many others out there who can't say those things, and we see it daily in abuse & neglect cases, and most of these people don't have disabilities...

I would rather see disabled loving parents have a child than "abled" abusive parents have them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Well, I can easily see both sides of this question. If someone can't take care of themselves how can they take care of a child? They can't, and the child shouldn't have to suffer simply because the parent has some form of disability... But here's the bigger question, if they are at a point mentally where they can't care for themselves how will they ever be at a mental capacity to legally consent to sex in the first place? But then who gets to decide who is and who isn't capable? You? Me? Some "expert?" And where would it end? Mental disabilities? Physical? Emotional? At what point do we draw the line?

How about rather than worrying about sterilizing innocent people we work on finding better treatments and therapies for them and allow them to live the best life they can.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Ah, interesting... Sure that I will be disagreed with, but there are many circumstances under which I believe that forced sterilization should be the norm.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• That lady from today, supposedly had a 16 year old Down Syndrome girl that was preggo. She found no problem with that.

dancinintherain

Comment by dancinintherain (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It's called eugenics. Our country used to do this. Do you really trust our government to enact legislation on forced sterilization and then enforce it ethically?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I can see both side of this. I do think that sterilization can be a good thing but at the same time i don't think the government should have the right to say who should and shouldn't be sterilized
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I saw a show one time where a couple was fighting to keep custody of their child (the show was fiction, but definitely could be, and has been, a reality). The wife had down syndrome & the husband had some form of mental retardation as well, although I'm not sure what... They were living on their own but had a nurse that came to help them with day to day life. The wife ended up pregnant. Because of her mental status her parents tried to step in and have her parental rights (and the fathers) denied and adopt the baby instead. Their argument was if they needed help to live the day to day how could they care for a baby on their own when the nurse wasn't there...

It was really a heartbreaking story. This couple knew they were pregnant and loved that baby - like any pregnant couple. But risked loosing it simply because of their disabilities... I cried just watching it... It broke my heart.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010